Red Shoe Ramblings » Something Quilted This Way Comes

Something Quilted This Way Comes

For today’s Daily Art Thang, I want to share a little something I made yesterday just to prove to myself that I do in fact remember both the location and proper operation of my sewing machine, even if I haven’t felt much like using it lately.

Most often when I take photos or do sketches, that’s it for me - they’re a finished Thang all on their own and even if someone says they’d make a good quilt I tend to think “yeah, maybe, but what’s the point…that would feel like a re-do to me.” (For quilts, I usually do only very rough, unfinished sketches and improvise from there.) But occasionally one of the more complete-feeling ones does call out to me to see what it would look like in fabric. One of those was this doodle, which inspired this:

“Spiral Dance 4: Sunlight” (6″ x 8″)

It’s small, but HEY - I sewed. Yay! Maybe it will inspire bigger things. I don’t want anyone holding their breath or anything, but….maybe.

19 Responses to “Something Quilted This Way Comes”

1. on 23 May 2006 at 1:13 am Lynn

I love this! It almost makes me want to learn to sew, except I’ve tried sewing, and I’m really bad at it.

2. on 23 May 2006 at 2:09 am liz elayne

i love these colors and these shapes…and i look forward to you materializing here in my little home office/studio one day and teaching me how to do something like this (hee, hee).

3. on 23 May 2006 at 3:19 am Caitlin

I am loveloveloving this, Deb! The use of complementary colours, the interaction of the shapes, and especially the way the quilting adds a whole new layer to the drawing - YES!!!

(remind me where my sewing machine is?? I haven’t seen it in a while…)

4. on 23 May 2006 at 4:51 am chiefbiscuit

I love the way it makes me feel. Happy and peaceful and floaty … a natural high!

5. on 23 May 2006 at 8:43 am Cate

This is gorgeous (there I go again–trite adjectives, gushing :). I love seeing the original doodle and how it evolved into a quilt. Also, that orange fabric is so beautiful! Well done, Deb!

6. on 23 May 2006 at 9:51 am Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com)

THAT is gorgeous!!! I love the “hot” colors combined with the “cool” colors. Very nice!

7. on 23 May 2006 at 10:32 am gkgirl

this is sweet…
    love the colors
    and the movement.

wow :)

8. on 23 May 2006 at 10:51 am kristen

wow, deb - it’s really amazing how the color can just change the whole feel of the picture. i love them all (most especially mine *beam*) and am SO glad that you re-visited it.
    little(you)subliminal(must)message(to)for(virginia)you. :-D

9. on 23 May 2006 at 11:38 am Gerrie

I especially love the quilting in the background!

10. on 23 May 2006 at 5:23 pm Terri

Hi…Michele sent me.
    Love that quilt. The colors are gorgeous.

11. on 23 May 2006 at 5:46 pm MargaretR

I love the colours and shapes here and I am guilty of making sketches and designs on my computer but they never become actual pieces of textile art as I intended. So well done for stitching such a beautiful piece.

12. on 23 May 2006 at 7:19 pm Anonymous

I enjoyed reading your self portrait challenge episode #4…,must go read the rest!
    Here from Michele’s!

13. on 23 May 2006 at 8:31 pm shoeblogging

Hello! Nice blog!

I just started a new blog about shoes - and I added a link to your blog on my “blogroll”. I would really appreciate if you could send a link back to me, or add me to your “blogroll”! Thanks, and keep on blogging!

14. on 23 May 2006 at 10:52 pm la vie en rose

you so rock deb!

15. on 23 May 2006 at 11:18 pm Laini

So cute! Things like that always make me want to learn to sew!

16. on 24 May 2006 at 9:26 am Jennifer

gorgeous design and beautiful colors. I love it!

17. on 24 May 2006 at 11:38 am DebR

Going to do an overall group reply here, since I’d pretty much tell all of you lovely folks the same thing which is Thank You for stopping by and commenting! I’m glad you liked my little Quilty THang. :-)

18. on 24 May 2006 at 11:42 am andrea

I love your quilts! I checked out your gallery and they are just amazing, amazing, amazing. What you do with fabric I dream about putting on canvas.
    a.

19. on 25 May 2006 at 10:50 am DebR

Thanks Adrea! :::blush:::
    That means a lot because I love your paintings.