Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #19

1. I finished Dean Koontz’s latest book, “The Husband.” I liked it! He does some books that have a sort of paranormal twist and some that are straightforward suspense novels. This was one of the latter. I don’t want to say much, since this is a Spoiler-free Zone, but I thought it was very good. Not his all-time best, but worth a read. I’d give it a B+.

2. I lead such a glamorous life, y’all. Want to know how I spent my Thursday? Closet Purge! WooHooo! Pretty exciting, yes? Ok, no. But it sure felt good when I finished. I should’ve taken before and after photos.

I noticed when I was putting laundry away on Wednesday that the amount of Stuff in our bedroom closet was reaching critical mass. So yesterday I dragged all the Stuff from my part of the closet out and tossed it onto the bed and then spent the afternoon sorting, trying on, checking for rips or stains and sorting into piles. I now have a big Pile o’ Stuff waiting to be bagged up to go to Good Will and I have another big Pile o’ Stuff waiting to be torn into cleaning rags. I’m even getting rid of a few pairs of shoes (gasp!). The remaining Pile o’ Stuff was put back on hangers and back into the closet in a fairly organized fashion, where it now has a bit more breathing room and maybe won’t get so wrinkled.

Now if I can just get J to do the same thing to his side of the closet. Heh.

3. There’s a new blog dedicated to Haiku if you want to check it out: One Deep Breath Anyone who stops by RSR regularly knows I loooves me some Haiku, so Yay! I may not participate every week, but I’ll have to try it now and then, including today.

Each week Susan and Jennifer plan to list a prompt. This was the prompt for this week: “Walking In Nature” - Go for a nature walk, take your camera along (if you like) and a notebook. Find some inspiration, write a haiku, take a photograph…

So I did and this is my result (and the photo is also my Daily Art Thang).

Tarnished silver skin.
Break through the sunlit surface
Then dive out of sight.

“Haiku Fish”

21 Responses to “Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #19”

1. on 09 Jun 2006 at 2:15 am Catherine

That’s a deceptively simple photo - catching the fish at just the right moment was either lucky or took great skill.
    Hmmm…another blog site. There must be about two or three of these for every day of the week, at least. Shall I let myself get sucked in or not? I’ll take a look anyway

2. on 09 Jun 2006 at 7:54 am lovegreendog

i took a lookey and i like it, i’ve always enjoyed haiku,i like the 575 - it really forces you to think outside the box. your haikus are great Deb. thanks for sharing the link.

3. on 09 Jun 2006 at 8:02 am The Calico Cat

Cool, I love how they got together… Does that fish live in your pond? Do you or J try to catch them? Do you eat what you catch? (
    My meat needs to be in celophane or cooked and presented - I doubt I could go through the whole catching, cleaning, etc. bits…)

4. on 09 Jun 2006 at 8:04 am teri springer

Lovely bullhead. Not my favorite for dinner, tho. Prefer some nice perch or bluegill……I’d go for a walk today but I just have too much to do…..

teri

5. on 09 Jun 2006 at 8:19 am Endment

Beautiful!

6. on 09 Jun 2006 at 8:35 am Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com)

I like that prompt! It’s often what I do when walking the dogs in the woods and [insert diety here] knows, I have the pictures to prove it LOL!

have a good weekend :-)
    ps…at first I thought the fish was a black lab, swimming LOL!

7. on 09 Jun 2006 at 9:13 am jenclair

Great haiku and accompanying pic! You continue to amaze me.

8. on 09 Jun 2006 at 10:31 am Jennifer

hey, a little surprise for me at the end! Great job on the “Haiku Fish”

9. on 09 Jun 2006 at 10:58 am Janet

If you get J to clean out his part of the closet I want to know your secret!

Love the photo….I’m sure that wasn’t an easy subject to catch (no pun intended!)

10. on 09 Jun 2006 at 11:11 am Star

Love the pic. And the haiku captures it perfectly!

11. on 09 Jun 2006 at 11:15 am Prego

You have such a closet too, eh? My wife started the tradition when she stopped wanting to put my clothes away.

Thanks for the visit yesterday.
    p

12. on 09 Jun 2006 at 12:24 pm andrea

Doesn’t cleaning out a closet just make you feel good?! I recently purged my childrens and after such a task I always feel like my life is in order too, lol. Clutter clutters the mind if you ask me.

Great Haiku and photo. It looks like a slithering serpant.
    a.

13. on 09 Jun 2006 at 3:25 pm Amber

Oh! I need, MUST! do that with my kids clothes. By the end of the weekend. I have to. Yay, for you!

Good poem.

14. on 09 Jun 2006 at 3:36 pm Amber

Also, I loved your “100 things”. We have a lot in common!

15. on 09 Jun 2006 at 4:04 pm paris parfait

Nice poem and accompanying photo! At first I thought it was a snake, which made me anxious. Then I read your poem and was relieved. :)

16. on 09 Jun 2006 at 5:51 pm harmonyinline

lovely

17. on 09 Jun 2006 at 6:18 pm S.L. White

Terrific– I don’t think we have water that color in Colorado! Thanks for the closet inspiration too…

18. on 09 Jun 2006 at 6:20 pm acumamakiki

The purge always feels wonderful. I need to get to/attend to the piles around my home.

19. on 10 Jun 2006 at 1:25 am DebR

I think I’d have to say mostly luck, Catherine. We feed the fish every night during the summer (that’s what the little round things are floating on the surface - fish food!) and one night I took my camera with me, flung the food onto the water and then just aimed the camera that direction and started shooting as fast as it would let me, hoping to catch something good. I got two shots I really liked out of it, this being one of them.

The 5-7-7 form Haiku is the only type I ever do, Angela. I really should try another style sometime just to say I did!

Yep, Amy, he (he? she? no idea!) is in our pond - well, one of our ponds. We have two. I only very rarely fish, but J likes it. And yes, sometimes we eat them, although I’m not crazy about the catfish.

Yep, Teri, if I’m going to eat pond fish at all it’s bluegill.

Thanks Endment!

I’m glad you take your camera on walks, Janet, since you take such great pics. Funny about thinking it was a lab!

Thanks Jen and Jennifer! Glad you liked the poem and photo.

I’m not going to hold my breath on the closet thing, Janet, but if he surprised me, I’ll let you know. ;-)
    Thanks Star!

I enjoyed my visit, Prego. Thank you for stopping by here!

It does Andrea! I got my piles all bagged up today and ready to go to Good Will next time I head for the city and each time I walked into the closet I had to smile at how neat and uncrowded it looked to me. Aaaahh…lovely!

Yay for Decluttering motivation, Amber! :-) Glad you enjoyed the 100 Things. I love finding those on people’s blogs. They’re one of my favorite BlogThings to read.

Oooh, ParisParfait, yeah, the snake thing wouldn’t have been good! I’m not phobic about them, but finding one slithering around the dock while I was feeding the fish would’ve freaked me out a little!

Thanks Harmony!

SLW, isn’t it odd how different the water colors can be from place to place? I always find that interesting. Our pond is either muddy brown (after rains) or green as an old Coke bottle!

Yes, K, it felt sooo good to purge the closet! I really need to do the same thing to some other areas in the house.

20. on 10 Jun 2006 at 1:49 am Lynn

A closet purge sounds to me like a great way to spend a Thursday.

21. on 10 Jun 2006 at 9:19 am DebR

Hi Lynn! Well, it wasn’t a day on the beach, but it sure beat some other Thursdays I’ve had. :-)