Just a Little Fib

I think the prompt over at One Deep Breath this week is SO cool! The challenge is to write a Fib - a variation on Haiku where the line and syllable count is based on the first few lines of the Fibonacci Sequence, a mathmatical sequence sometimes found in nature (nautilus shells, for instance) and also frequently used in traditional quilt design (whether the original designer knew it or not!).

Susan says: “In essence, there are only 2 rules. The first rule is the sequence of syllables which is 1/1/2/3/5/8. The second rule is that no one-syllable lines can contain an article (the, a, la, le, etc.)”

So, make sense? A total of 20 syllables, spread in a specific sequence over 6 lines. Fun!

My Fib is inspired by a combination of a photo I took yesterday and that old saying about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. Here it is:

Tall
Green
Stem and
Broad leaves reach
For the sky so the
Yellow disk can flatter the sun.

“Flattering the Sun”

I suddenly have visions of making up Fibs all over the place. Oh dear!

28 Responses to “Just a Little Fib”

1. on 26 Jun 2006 at 1:07 am Jennifer

so glad you enjoyed her brilliant prompt! That sunflower photo is so unbelievably cool. I just might need to purchase an enlargement from you? Great fib!

2. on 26 Jun 2006 at 2:29 am Catherine

Sunflowers are cool aren’t they?I have a bunch of photos I took last summer, when I came across a whole row of sunflowers someone had planted outside a fence.
    I haven’t tried the prompt yet as I’ve been at work all day. I need a “nonwork” day to take good photos since it’s dark by the time I get home at 5.30 :( While I wait for summer I’ll enjoy “virtual sunflowers”

3. on 26 Jun 2006 at 2:58 am Jodi

I really enjoyed this prompt too. You did a great job and your fib compliments your beautiful photo so well!

4. on 26 Jun 2006 at 7:38 am chiefbiscuit

That sounds like fun - something to put aside for when I have more time. LOVE that sunflower, what a personality!
    Your fib’s great! Very clever.

5. on 26 Jun 2006 at 8:13 am gkgirl

i love the photo
    and the fib…
    funny thing about a poem
    being called a fib…
    hee.

i don’t know if i could do one though.
    i think
    as soon as i hear the words
    mathematical equations…
    i shut down.

holdbacks from highschool.
    heehee :)

6. on 26 Jun 2006 at 9:27 am DebR

It is a brilliant prompt, Jennifer! You two are doing great at coming up with ideas and I know it can’t be easy week after week.

If you’re really interested in an enlargement, let me know and I’ll see if I can duplicate this at a higher resolution. I have a bad habit of immediately reducing my photos to screen resolution and I really need to stop doing that and create the effects at higher res and THEN save a reduced copy. There are a few I’d like to have prints of myself and I need to go back and try to re-do them at a printable res.

Ah yes, the early dark of winter. And here it’s currently only barely twilight at 9:30 PM! (The sunflower photo was taken around 8 PM.) I’ll look forward to what you come up with Catherine.

Thanks Jodi!

It is fun, CB. I hope you give it a try!

I totally understand that, gkgirl. I had nightmares about math for YEARS after high school. (Seriously!) Maybe if you tried not to think of it as math, but more like a musical rhythm or something? :-)

7. on 26 Jun 2006 at 10:46 am The Calico Cat

I like it - I am not clever enough to make up fibs… :o) (Don’t tell my dad!)

8. on 26 Jun 2006 at 12:02 pm paris parfait

Great fib and photo! Such fun.

9. on 26 Jun 2006 at 12:16 pm Dara

Like you, I love the challenge of try to fit words into a prescribed format. You did it so well with the combination of the sunflower and the poem. It’s that light for you at 8PM??? I think we have full darkness at 8:15 - will check tonight.

10. on 26 Jun 2006 at 12:30 pm Mim Smith Faro

okay being the big geek I am, this won’t be a big surprise to you. I LOVE the fib idea!!! I can’t wait to try it with my students in the fall.

Your accompanying picture is totally perfect too as the sunflower is one of natures foremost examples of Fibonacci in nature. Check here to read more http://www.popmath.org.uk/rpamaths/rpampages/sunflower.html

Maths can be fun! Really!!!

11. on 26 Jun 2006 at 2:19 pm Susannah

Faiku very much for the comment you left me :-) “so the yellow disk can flatter the sun” - love this line especially
    Sx

12. on 26 Jun 2006 at 3:00 pm la vie en rose

fibs are new to me! this one is excellent…and so is the accompanying pic. so cheerful and bright and friendly…

13. on 26 Jun 2006 at 3:19 pm a.

Lol, you are so funny. Well go for it! Go make up lovely fibs because this one rocks and I adore your photo.
    a.

14. on 26 Jun 2006 at 3:42 pm mikim

Glorious fib and photo. Simply beautiful!

15. on 26 Jun 2006 at 4:09 pm Gregory K.

Ahhh, indeed — since the sunflower has Fibonacci in it (the spirals out from the center), it makes a great Fib subject! Love the combo of image with the poetry, too.

As for the math fear… one reason I started saying things like Fibs and Fibbery was so that I didn’t start focusing too much on the math aspect, but more on the fun/puzzle aspect. Worked for me!

16. on 26 Jun 2006 at 4:22 pm lovegreendog

oh, this is so perfect, the photo and your words. i am loving these prompts :)

17. on 26 Jun 2006 at 4:25 pm ian russell

sunflowers, how could they be called anything else! fascinating.
    your wonderful poem captures the image well.

18. on 26 Jun 2006 at 4:47 pm Crafty Green Poet

Excellent combination of photo and fib, the sunflower is an ideal subject for this form!

19. on 26 Jun 2006 at 8:22 pm Tammy

Yellow disk goes perfect with a sunflower! Great job :)

20. on 26 Jun 2006 at 11:14 pm Kim G.

Deb - what a fun combination - beautiful art and wonderful words! I especially love the green in the center of the flower and how it plays off the green of the leaves!

21. on 27 Jun 2006 at 12:00 am Micki

Great picture and love the Haiku!

22. on 27 Jun 2006 at 10:02 am Pearl

I did a fib too. The nature pattern makes it harder doesn’t it?

Michele sent me.

23. on 27 Jun 2006 at 10:04 am DebR

Hehehe, Amy!

Dara, I double-checked last night to make sure I wasn’t delusional about that time and it’s true. It didn’t get full dark here until around 9:30 - 9:45 PM.

Mim, thanks for that link! That was fascinating!

Thanks Susannah. I still love your new word - “faiku”

Thanks Michelle, they were new to me too. Think you might give it a try?

Thanks Andrea. :-)
    Glad you like, Mikim!

Gregory, thanks for stopping by. You did a fun thing making up Fibs! And I agree about the math. Much better to think of it as a puzzle!

Thanks Angela. I’m loving the prompts too!

Thanks Ian!

CGP, it’s a more perfect subject than I first realized when I chose it. Serendipity at work!

Thanks Tammy!

Good eye, Kim. I like that too.

Thanks Micki!

24. on 27 Jun 2006 at 10:05 am DebR

Hi Pearl! I’ll pop over and read your Fib.

25. on 28 Jun 2006 at 4:39 am Neasa

Beautiful fib & stunning sunflower!

26. on 28 Jun 2006 at 9:41 am DebR

Thanks Neasa, glad you enjoyed the fib and foto.

27. on 30 Jun 2006 at 7:34 am susanlavonne

Deb- so glad you liked the prompt..and to think of quilts, brilliant!
    and the last line, even more outstanding..i’m just all gushy about your photo and fib…and that’s NO fib!

red
    hair –
    why not
    me? not fair!
    yes, i tried clairol…
    some things are just not meant to be :-(

28. on 30 Jun 2006 at 10:57 am DebR

Thanks Susan!

I love your red hair fib. :-)