Red Shoe Ramblings » S is for…

S is for…

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my “A is for…” entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume’s WordPlay site. Now here we go…

S is for…

Sandy - My smart, talented, fun, beautiful Sister.

Sunflowers, Sage - S-plants I like.

Strawberries, Salad, Shrimp, Scallops, (Seafood in general!) - S-foods I like. If I was forced to have a really limited diet, but got to choose what it was limited to, I could pretty much live on seafood and fruit.

Salsa - I’m so hooked on this S-food that it deserves it’s very own entry, but I can no longer buy the one I used to like best and am now on a Holy Grail-like quest for The Perfect Salsa. I tried some locally-made stuff last week, but it said it was Hot and it SO was not. I had to add oodles of Franks RedHot Sauce to it to make it have any kick at all and if that isn’t bad enough, it had sugar in it! Sugar, y’all! That’s just wrong. Wrong and sick. In fact, I’m pretty sure the Bible lists earthquakes, fire raining from the sky, and sugar in salsa as signs of an impending apocolypse. Anyone want to recommend a superfantastic brand of salsa or email me a recipe for a great (but easy-to-make) homemade version?

Sugar - Something I’m WAY too hooked on (despite not wanting it in my salsa!) and Seriously need to wean myself from. Sigh.

Schnapps - S-drink I like, especially Cinnamon, Peppermint, or Butterscotch Schnapps.

Swizzle - A drink my mom used to make every summer and I make now and then when I think of it. It’s basically an iced mixture of tea, fruit juices, and lemon-lime soda. It’s Yum!

Shoes! - Of course I had to mention shoes. You’ve seen the name of my blog.

Shop - I don’t like just any old kind of shopping, but if you lead me to a shoe store, a book store, or anyplace that sells quirky stuff (like antique shops, flea markets, off-beat artsy gift shops), I can get lost for hours.

Socks - I don’t like socks nearly as much as I like shoes, but if I’m going to wear them, I like it to be something bright and fun. I have some very strange socks in my sock drawer.

Stephanie (Plum) - A fictional character I really like.

Spike (aka: William the Bloody) - One of my all-time-favorite TV characters, played by the extremely talented James Marsters. Spike was a vampire on the series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”, but that isn’t why one of his names was William the Bloody. He earned that nickname as a mortal because he wrote “bloody awful poetry.”

Steven (Gould) - A writer I really like, especially his book “Jumper.”

Sunshine, Sleep - Things I crave. I get very depressed and/or grumpy if I don’t get enough of them.

Sex - Fun! And hhhmm….now that I think of it, I probably could’ve included this in the above entry. Ahem.

Scrabble, Spades - A couple of games I love to play.

“Sliding Doors” - A quirky movie I really like. Although it doesn’t talk about quantum physics (one of the things on my Q-list!), it definitely relates to it.

“Star Trek” (any of them!) - I’m not a Trekker to the point of dressing up and going to Cons or anything, but I really love all the various Star Trek series. (At least all the ones I’ve seen. We don’t get the channel where they show the newest one.)

Somerset (Kentucky) - Where J was born and where he and I lived for a few years before we moved here. When I was a little girl, we drove through Somerset several times a year on the way to or from my paternal grandparents house - they lived one town over from Somerset. I’d never have guessed as we drove around the town square that my future husband was growing up on a farm a few miles away.

Smoky Mountains (Tennessee and North Carolina) - One of our most frequent holiday destinations.

Ship, Cruise - One of my favorite ways to get away from it all.

Sandcastles - I like to build them, although I’m not particularly good at it, and I love to see the ones built by people who are particularly good at it!

Spring, Summer - Seasons I really like because of the abundance of Sunshine.

Sunscreen - I would be in trouble without it, since I crave the light but am severely melanin-challenged. (Or in other words ghostly pale!)

Spirals, Stars, Suns, Squiggly Lines - Shapes I like a lot and that appear as frequent motifs in my quilts and collages.

Sewing Machine - I wouldn’t make quilts without it! Notice I didn’t say “couldn’t.” I could make quilts without it. But I wouldn’t. I don’t like to hand sew, so my sewing machine is my friend.

Scrhodinger’s Cat - is dead. Or alive. (If you get that reference without the help of Google and know why I think it’s cool, we need to hang out together.)

Sarcastic - I took a quiz last week that said I was totally sarcastic. Yeah, right. Like THAT could ever be true.

Swear - Something I probably do a helluva lot more often than I should, dammit.

Snarky, Shit, Shiny!, Squick, Smartass, Superfantastic, Scrumtrulescent - S-words I say a lot. (Bonus points if you know where the word “scrumtrulescent” comes from!)

Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious - (Let’s see what Spell Check thinks of THAT! Hmph!) I used to love to say that word when I was little. I still kind of do.

Sliver, Shiver, Sinuous, Sensual, Serendipity, Slinky, Sizzle, Swanky, Spectacular - S-words I like.

“S is for…”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

18 Responses to “S is for…”

1. on 26 Jul 2006 at 1:07 am Laini

Every time you do a letter I think, “This is the best letter. What letter could be better than this?” And this time is no exception: sandcastles, shoes, sex, Spike, and more! Yay, “S”!!

2. on 26 Jul 2006 at 2:13 am Catherine

Deb, since “salsa” just means “sauce” I have seen a huge variety of different recipes. I strongly suspect that none of them are ones you would approve of :) I loved “Sliding Doors”, and yes, I get Schrodingers Cat without googling. Is it cool? After trying to survive a whole term of quantum mechanics in an applied maths course, I’m not sure. The ideas are cool, the maths lost me. I managed to avoid those questions in the final exam :)

3. on 26 Jul 2006 at 6:51 am Pixie

spectacular baby!
    I’ve just realised something Deb. We did a 9patch swap together. I’m one of the scrapbags in NZ. We each have a whole lot of nine patches stitched by each other. Yours are on my bed!! ahh small world, slow brain, tick tick tick….

4. on 26 Jul 2006 at 7:25 am acumamakiki

Snarky is one of my most favorite words. As always, I love your list!

5. on 26 Jul 2006 at 8:27 am dee

Sliding doors is one of my very favorite films and unusual for me because I’m a big classic movie fan. I found a copy at the store in the sale bin for 5 bucks the other day….plus, I really like that guy she winds up with(can’t think of his name-how stoooopid)I would gladly run away from home for him or Colin Firth(don’t tell Roger)

6. on 26 Jul 2006 at 1:55 pm tiff

Wow - a great list! Amazing.

7. on 26 Jul 2006 at 2:31 pm The Calico Cat

Lots of similar “S’s”

Thanks for the comments about my photos - I wish we had better weather… I am not 99% done with posting about Australia. There are a few lurker photos that may be dropped in at random int he future.

Great tip on bloglines too!

8. on 26 Jul 2006 at 3:56 pm la vie en rose

i’m with ya on the salsa, sliding doors…and the sex…

9. on 26 Jul 2006 at 3:59 pm Tammy

I’m with you on many of these :) Spike is soooo hot! Great collage :)

10. on 26 Jul 2006 at 10:06 pm Sarah e.Smith

What a fabujous list! Im right there with you on a bunch of these!

11. on 26 Jul 2006 at 11:56 pm susie

I loooove Sliding Doors too. Great list.

Here via Gypsy’s. Feel free to drop by for a slice. :)

12. on 27 Jul 2006 at 12:32 am Gerrie

Oh, some great S words. You are getting closer to the end!!

13. on 27 Jul 2006 at 1:04 am Kim G.

Stupendous! Super! Sensational! Stellar!
    (words to describe Deb’s “S” list)
    There are lots of cool “s” words! I love seafood, too! What’s cool is that my kids love it as well so we eat fish or some sort of seafood once a week and I don’t have to fix them PBJ’s on that night! ;) If you ever make it out west there are lots of great seafood joints and we might be able to find you some decent salsa, too. Brad just throws things in the cuisenart and it winds up tasting wonderful each time. I think he actually has used sugar before, something about it working with the lemon juice in there to make the flavor not so sour, but still have a “zing” to it. He’s one of those “foodie” types so I’ll have to ask him about it.

14. on 27 Jul 2006 at 3:32 am Turquoise CRO

You forgot SNORT! lol and that swiggly in your collage had me hypnotizzzzzzzed! Yeah!

15. on 27 Jul 2006 at 11:28 am Deb R

Laini, seeing “shoes, sex, and Spike” all in a row like that in your comment made me a little hot! LOL! Glad you liked the list.

Well, I think Schrodinger’s cat is cool, Catherine, but Coolness, like Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, IMO. When I say it’s cool, Im most definitely talking about the idea, not the math. I don’t DO math beyond what’s necessary for daily living. Numbers and I don’t get along at all.

How about that, Pixie! I was just looking at that quilt not long ago. That was a fun project, although my finished quilt had definite Issues and really needs some extra quilting to make it hang straight.

I love “snarky” too, K!

I can’t think of that guy’s name right now either, D, but isn’t he lovely? I thought he did a great job as a romantic lead.

Thanks, Tiff!

As far as I’m concerned you can post Australia photos indefinitely, Amy. THey’re fab!

I knew you’d like the salsa one, Michelle! :-) Wish we had some of the same smaller independent brands here that you have. I bet you have some good ones down your way!

He IS, isn’t he, Tammy! ;-) I don’t know what it is, because I don’t react at all the same way to James Marsters as any other character or as himself. JM as JM is perfectly nice and pleasant but doesn’t make my toes curl. Spike makes my toes curl.

Thanks, Sarah, glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Susie! It’s amazing to me how many people have mentioned “Sliding Doors” in the comments. Usually when I mention that movie hardly anyone has heard of it and how look at all of us who loved it!

I AM, Gerrie! I’m going to be so lost on Wednesdays for a while after this project ends.

Kim, I would so love to come check out that part of the country and meet you and go eat seafood! :-) Maybe someday…stranger things have happened! And about the sugar, I actually get that about the sugar going with lemon or lime, but this salsa didn’t have lemon or lime it it, so it just tasted sweet. Bleah.

I DID forget “snort”, Turq! How did I miss that one?!? :-D

16. on 27 Jul 2006 at 4:28 pm pepektheassassin

Hey, I GOT IT. The Schrodinger’s Cat thing. Or I didn’t. Either way, all your S lists are fun, and your food-poem, too. Or not.

17. on 28 Jul 2006 at 12:25 am Deb R

Hehehe…thanks, P! :-)

18. on 31 Aug 2006 at 3:19 am Laume

How could I have missed seafood, sunflowers, and salsa!

Spike is soooo my buddy. He’s one of my 4 Williams. (Angel, Shakespeare, and my son William being the other three)

We were such Trekkies in the day - and yes, I have worn a Star Trek uniform.

I really liked “Sliding Doors”

I can’t count how many sandcastles my kids have made, especially William who loved to build them. Unfortunately he also loved destroying everyone elses. Sigh.

As for that cat that may or may not be dead, I didn’t have to google it. But we already knew we should hang together, eh? When they invent that transporter. Beam me up Deb.