Red Shoe Ramblings » Poetry Thursday: Do Ya Feel Hungry? Well, Do Ya, Punk?

Poetry Thursday: Do Ya Feel Hungry? Well, Do Ya, Punk?

The (C.A.T.O.) prompt for this week over at Poetry Thursday is to write and/or share a poem about food. Cool! We’ve had poetry about favorite words and sex, now food. If we’re prompted to share poetry about art, books, movies, and travel in the next few weeks my favorite things in life will pretty much be covered!

I started writing something for the food prompt and if I end up with something I like I’ll post it another week, but at this point it isn’t even a rough draft yet. It’s strictly a mind-map-style group of scribbled words and phrases on a steno pad and I’m trying to figure out exactly how to say what I want to say.

I’m still sort of following the prompt this week though. The poem below isn’t really about food, but it uses the topic of food to speak very eloquently about something else - something I bet most of us have felt about something in our lives at one time or another. I know I have.

Red Onion, Cherries,
Boiling Potatoes, Milk -

Here is a soul, accepting nothing.
Obstinate as a small child
refusing tapioca, peaches, toast.

The cheeks are streaked, but dry.
The mouth is firmly closed in both directions.

Ask, if you like,
if it is merely sulking, or holding out for better.
The soup grows cold in the question.
The ice cream pools in its dish.

Not this, is all it knows. Not this.
As certain cut flowers refuse to drink in the vase.

And the heart, from its great distance, watches,
helpless.

~~~Jane Hirshfield

“Ripening”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

Satisfy your hunger for more poems about food here.

15 Responses to “Poetry Thursday: Do Ya Feel Hungry? Well, Do Ya, Punk?”

1. on 27 Jul 2006 at 11:08 am jim

Oh, those grapes in your image! How sweet they’ll be late, late summer.

2. on 27 Jul 2006 at 12:08 pm Gerrie

Deep!

3. on 27 Jul 2006 at 12:18 pm Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com)

love the grape leaves pic! not only is the fruit good, but oooh those grape leaves wrapped around some hamburger, rice pilaf, flavored with a bit of cinnamon…YUM!

4. on 27 Jul 2006 at 2:10 pm twitches

“Ask, if you like,
    if it is merely sulking, or holding out for better.”

Love that bit - a nice turn.

5. on 27 Jul 2006 at 2:45 pm acumamakiki

I love this poem, it’s perfect for my mood today.

6. on 27 Jul 2006 at 4:52 pm Catherine

It’s a lovely poem. when do your grapes ripen? Ours are ready around late April - which would be equivalent to October in your part of the world. I can taste them now, seeing the photo.

7. on 27 Jul 2006 at 4:55 pm paris parfait

Fabulous photo! Great poem too.

8. on 27 Jul 2006 at 6:20 pm Amber

It makes me think of certain people I know.

9. on 27 Jul 2006 at 8:03 pm Janet

I like the grapes photo. I think most of my grapes are withering in the heat and sun. And there was such a nice lot of them, too. This has been a rough summer on my yard.

10. on 27 Jul 2006 at 8:37 pm Tammy

Lovely choice for a poem on food and gorgeous photo. Can’t wait to read what you have cooking :)

11. on 27 Jul 2006 at 10:58 pm Madeleine

mm great poem…yep i think we have definitely all felt something similar at many points..or maybe that’s just me.

lovely pic..where was this taken?

12. on 27 Jul 2006 at 11:26 pm Jennifer

incredible poem, so stubborn and a little bit sad to me…

13. on 28 Jul 2006 at 12:57 am Deb R

Hi Jim. I hope they will be. Our weather is turning out to be a bit rough on fruit this year and some of the grapes are rotting on the vine, but hopefully some of them will hang in there.

It is, kinda, isn’t it, Gerrie. :-)
    Janet, you won’t believe this, but you know I’ve never once even thought of cooking with those leaves, even though I have a friend who makes yummy stuffed grape leaves. D’oh! Excuse me while I fully experience this Blinding Flash of the Obvious! LOL!

I love that part too, Twitches! I find myself wondering how a person can tell when dissatisfaction is passing or petulant and when it’s bone-deep and not to be denied. Hhhmmm….

One of THOSE days, eh, K? Damn.

That’s probably about right, Catherine, or maybe a little earlier. I’m not very good at keeping track of that sort of thing, but my first thought when I read the question was sometime in September.

Thanks PP!

Oh nooooo, Amber! Surely you’re angels never do that, do they? :-D
    It’s been rough here too, Janet. Usually this vine would be way more loaded than this and some of the grapes are rotting on the vine. It’s been a bad year for tomatoes and sweet corn so far too. Good year for green beans though.

Thanks, Tammy! I hope what I have cooking turns out to be worth sharing when I’m done rather than something to be scraped out of the pan and into the trash. ;-)
    Thanks, Madeleine! I’m sure it’s not just you…or me. If there’s anyone in the world who hasn’t experienced that vague-but-persistent dissatisfaction about something, sometime I want to know their secret! The grape photo is from our back yard.

I agree, Jennifer, it is a little sad. I find myself hoping the person in the poem figures out what they’re craving and can move on.

14. on 28 Jul 2006 at 10:55 pm la vie en rose

perfect poem! i’ve never read this one before. me likie!

15. on 30 Jul 2006 at 9:35 am January

Love this poem, especially the line: “The soup grows cold in the question.”

I know this feeling well. *sigh*