Red Shoe Ramblings » Poetry Thursday: Inspired by Song

Poetry Thursday: Inspired by Song

The (CATO) prompt at Poetry Thursday this week is to write a poem that incorporates a song. Now I bet you’re waiting for me to tell you I’m not doing it, right? Wrong! For once I’m actually following the prompt in the week in which it’s posted. Yeah, baby!

The song I have in mind is one of my favorites. It’s called “Born to Fly” by Sara Evans. If you want to read all the lyrics you can see them here. But my favorite part is the chorus:

“But how do you wait for heaven?
And who has that much time?
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know that you were born,
You were born to fly”

That song always reminds me of the flying dreams I’ve had for so many years. Yesterday I wrote a poem inspired by the song and how it makes me feel. I wrote this one quickly (for me!! heh) and didn’t fuss over this much, so it may be a bit “first draft-y”, but I think the basic structure of it is there, so I’m going to post it anyway.

Born to Fly

It’s a bone-deep feeling,
pulling at my heart;
a memory under my skin
of something I’ve done before -
another time, another life.

If I remembered the way -
if I believed enough! -
I should be able to spread my arms
and leave Gravity behind
as easily as I kick off my shoes.

I’d leap into the air on a likely updraft,
soaring, rising weightless,
riding the current
with graceful spins and arabesques
while the wind combs sunlight through my hair.

I’d play hide ‘n’ seek with the birds,
swooping down, butterfly-bright,
to skim the treetops
before flinging myself up again
to hide in a cloud.

Sometimes in my dreams
I do it all -
the rolls, the twirls,
the lightning turns.
But then I open my eyes

and Gravity wraps me in greedy arms.
I’m heavy again, left with only
a feeling, a pull, a memory;
a certainty that I was born to fly.
I just don’t remember how.

Not yet.

“Born to Fly”

You can find links to more poetry to make your heart sing here.

22 Responses to “Poetry Thursday: Inspired by Song”

1. on 03 Aug 2006 at 2:39 am Catherine

The photo is stunning - I enjoyed the poem, too. I used to dream of flying when I was a kid, and then when I grew up I dreamed of falling instead (I try not to analyse that too much :) )

2. on 03 Aug 2006 at 5:17 am Susannah

“and leave Gravity behind
    as easily as I kick off my shoes.”

wow, sweetie, this is so lovely… i believe we are all born to fly - we’ve just got to find the instruction manual :-) x

3. on 03 Aug 2006 at 8:35 am gkgirl

ahhhhhhhh!
    there are so many things i love
    in this poem…
    greedy gravity
    memory under my skin
    the wind combing sunlight through hair…

holy…
    you have outdone yourself with this one! :)

4. on 03 Aug 2006 at 8:42 am chiefbiscuit

This poem really soars! ‘greedy gravity’ is my favourite line. Well-described indeed.

5. on 03 Aug 2006 at 8:43 am jenclair

What a wonderful poem! Great job, Deb…

6. on 03 Aug 2006 at 9:04 am paris parfait

Beautiful imagery evoked by your words and photos! Well done.

7. on 03 Aug 2006 at 9:09 am liz elayne

i love this song…and i love the images you have invited with your words.
    do you have these dreams? of flying? that you are flying?
    i am kind of jealous of those. i feel my wings, but i haven’t dreamt of using them yet.

8. on 03 Aug 2006 at 9:24 am tiff

This poem so perfectly describes that feeling. Beautifully done.

9. on 03 Aug 2006 at 9:53 am pepektheassassin

It sounds like a song! The picture is beautiful, and fits the poem.

10. on 03 Aug 2006 at 10:09 am Jennifer

excellent, I love it!

11. on 03 Aug 2006 at 10:28 am January

Wow. Just beautiful. I was going to pull out a line to talk about but I can’t decide–too many to choose!

12. on 03 Aug 2006 at 10:54 am Deb R

Yeah, Catherine, I wouldn’t analyze that too much either if it happened to me. :-) Glad you enjoyed your visit!

Thanks, Susannah! (If you find the manual first, let me know, ok?)

Thanks gkgirl! :::beam:::

Thanks CB. It’s exactly how it feels to me.

Thanks Jen and Paris!

I do Liz! Not as often as I’d like (they’re my all-time favorite dreams) but now and then I do. In fact, I may write a post about that tomorrow.

Thanks Tiff, Pepe, Jennifer, Jan! Glad you all enjoyed it.

13. on 03 Aug 2006 at 12:05 pm Star

I went to read the lyrics to Sara Evans’ song and they are a wonderful inspiration from which to start.

I love how your poem seems to take the path of dreams–spreading your arms to fly and then soaring the way you can only in your dreams, and then the pull of the gravity of wakefulness that brings you back to earth, never quite seeming to be able to remember the dream but wishing you could.

Your photo is perfect with your poem.

14. on 03 Aug 2006 at 12:14 pm LJCohen

Love this line:

“and Gravity wraps me in greedy arms.”

Enjoyed this.

best,
    ljc

15. on 03 Aug 2006 at 2:41 pm la vie en rose

i really, really like this deb! i think you did a great job with it.

16. on 03 Aug 2006 at 2:52 pm Tammy

This is really great Deb! I love this song but your poetry took it to new heights. Brava!

17. on 03 Aug 2006 at 10:56 pm Superhero Activist

My favorite portion of your poem was “riding the current/with graceful spins and arabesques/while the wind combs sunlight through my hair.”

It fits so well with the whimsical tone of the poem. I could easily see this as a poem you would read to loved ones, especially children, to remind them that they can seize their dreams, no matter how fantastical those dreams may seem.

18. on 04 Aug 2006 at 8:01 am Deb R

Star, Lisa, Michelle, Tammy, Superhero - thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It meant a lot to me and I’m really glad you enjoyed your visit!

19. on 04 Aug 2006 at 11:13 am wendylou who?

I like the thought of leaving gravity as easily as kicking off ones shoes.

20. on 04 Aug 2006 at 2:17 pm Verity

I love the way you make the feeling of flying familiar, by saying it’s something you’ve done before, even if in the end, greedy gravity gets you. Love it.

21. on 08 Aug 2006 at 11:09 am Deb R

Thanks Wendylou and Verity. Glad you enjoyed it!

22. on 16 Jan 2007 at 4:33 pm Sara

Hello

I wanted to let you know I used your line from Poetry Thursday to write a poem. Thanks for the inspiration.