Red Shoe Ramblings » Of Flying Dreams and Flippy-Flops (Includes a bit of Quilt Content - yeah, baby!)

First of all, I want to send out big birthday wishes to my friend Bev. Happy Birthday, Bev! Hope it’s great!!

Yesterday, when I posted the poem I wrote based on flying dreams and the song “Born to Fly”, Liz Elayne asked, “do you have these dreams? of flying? that you are flying?”

I do! I don’t have them as often as I’d like (they’re my favorite dreams ever!) but now and then I fly in my dreams. One of the coolest dreams I ever had in my life - and it’s one of the ones I remember most vividly - was the very first flying dream I ever had. It was one in which I literally learned to fly in my dreams!

I had this dream when I was a teenager. I’d heard of other people dreaming of flight and I was envious of that, but up until that point I’d never had a flying dream. Then one night I dreamed I was watching TV and the program was a talk show. The featured guest was a man who had taught himself to fly - not in a plane, but just him, flying like Superman. He was telling how he did it and in the dream I watched the whole show, fascinated, and at the end of it I thought to myself “I get it! I could totally do that!!”

I walked into the back yard and in this dream there was a meadow behind my house and in the meadow was a big, steep, grassy hill. Picture the kind of hill that would be perfect for sledding in winter - it was like that. I walked to the top of the hill, kept the man’s instructions in my mind, then ran to the edge of the hill and jumped!….and immediately fell and rolled to the bottom.

I climbed back to the top and did it again, and again, and again, until eventually one time instead of tumbling straight down, I sort of hung there in the air, suspended, straining against gravity for a few seconds - sort of like when Michael Jordan would go for a long jump toward a basket and it would seem like he’d never come down.

So I kept on trying, and my hang time before I went back to the ground got longer and longer and after a little while I wasn’t coming down at all until I did it on purpose. Instead I was rising higher and moving faster and eventually I was truly flying - just like in my poem, doing barrel rolls, turning somersaults, buzzing over the treetops, the wind whipping through my hair and making my eyes water. And I can’t tell you how real it all felt. That was the really uncanny thing.

I woke up that morning feeling so great! I felt like I’d really learned to fly! And ever since that night, I have occasional flying dreams. Sometimes they’re just for fun and other times I’ve used flight in my dreams to escape from scary things. Either way, I love them. It’s been a while since I had one, now that I think of it. Maybe tonight….

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that I sewed this week. It wasn’t anything big, but I made 4 fabric postcards. Considering how long I’ve been in a sewing slump, that’s pretty damn good!

Two of them are on their way to Dara and Janet as prizes for a little contest they won (so be on the lookout, ladies!) and I don’t want to show those yet. But while I was at it, I made two to send to Virginia Spiegel for the FiberArt For a Cause fundraiser in Houston this fall, where they can hopefully find new homes and help raise money for the American Cancer Society. They’re today’s Daily Art Thang:

“Lemon-Aid 1: Summer Hummer” and “Orange-Aid 1: Fuzzy Navel”

I thought I’d show you a pic of the backs too, as this is very typical of what the back of my fiber postcards look like:

Once I post this I may (or may not) be disappearing for a few days. We’re off for the mountains and while we plan to take the laptop with us, we’re not at all sure we’ll have ‘net access where we’re going. I’m kind of betting on “not.” If we do have it, I’ll post some stuff I have ready to go, but if we don’t I’ll catch up with you all in a few days.

Hope you have a great weekend!

26 Responses to “Of Flying Dreams and Flippy-Flops (Includes a bit of Quilt Content - yeah, baby!)”

1. on 04 Aug 2006 at 12:06 am kristen

very cool dream, deb. usually my flying dreams involve falling as well…so not quite the relaxing fun and groovy dreams that i’d like….

i ADORE your new postcards! what fun. but, can you tell me what a summer hummer is? i guess it’s *not* a bj in the summer heat *blush*?

have a wonderful time in the mountains.

2. on 04 Aug 2006 at 12:44 am chiefbiscuit

I dream of flying - just kind of stan-up take-offs - just like that - and guant leaps that cover miles. I think it’s when we feel paricularly proud of what we can achieve and/or are achieving.

Fantastic fibre art - so colourful and bright and ‘free to be me -ish’ :) Utterly luvly. Have a great time away now you hear?

3. on 04 Aug 2006 at 3:13 am Catherine

Have a great time in the mountains - hope you escape the heat a little.
    When I used to dream of flying , it was more like swimming under water - using my arms out to my sides, pushing down on the air to lift myself up, rather ponderously - no barrel rolls or flipflops, I’m sorry to say.

4. on 04 Aug 2006 at 8:07 am Deb R

OMG, kristen, PLEASE tell me that’s not slang for that! Not after I wrote it on the back of a fundraiser postcard!! LOL!!! Summer Hummer is what we’ve always called vodka and lemonade mixed. I’ve been naming most of these flip-flop postcards after mixed drinks for some reason.

Thanks, CB, we’ll hope to have fun! :-) It fascinates me to hear how other dream-flyers do their thing.

Catherine, your method of dream flying sounds rather laguid and relaxing though - very cool in its own way. But not the falling part. ;-)

5. on 04 Aug 2006 at 8:11 am The Calico Cat

pretty post cards! (Your sand is my realistic cat fur fabric & that flip flop material I used in some funky cats and funky fish!)

I am so giggling over this coincidence!

6. on 04 Aug 2006 at 8:36 am jenclair

LOVE the postcards! Fun and cheerful.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the mountains.

7. on 04 Aug 2006 at 9:48 am Gerrie

Love the postcards. So DebR!

8. on 04 Aug 2006 at 11:26 am kristen

fear not, deb, a summer hummer is indeed a known drink (*I* didn’t know it was a drink, i figured that’s what it was when i saw it on the back of your postcard)

6 oz thawed frozen lemonade concentrate
    750 ml Pimm’s No. 1
    24 oz cold water
    12 oz spiced rum
    10 lemon slices

but a hummer is also slang for a bj.

9. on 04 Aug 2006 at 12:11 pm Tammy

Beautiful work! Have fun and relax :) Maybe you will find an amazing enclosed space.

Thanks for saving my butt!

Hugs

10. on 04 Aug 2006 at 1:29 pm Janet

Your dream description is fantastic! It made me long to go to sleep and dream about flying, too :-)
    Love the postcards as well! Have fun in the mountains!

11. on 04 Aug 2006 at 1:48 pm Scrapmaker

Great Deb R postcards, I love them. I would know they were yours without ever looking at the back. Have fun on vacation, hope you keep cool! Jen

12. on 04 Aug 2006 at 2:06 pm Jennifer

cool fiber postcards, have a wonderful weekend!

13. on 04 Aug 2006 at 2:17 pm Janet

Wow….I’ve never flown in dreams! At least not like that. Sounds exhilarating.

Oh, I’ll be hanging around the mailbox now in anticipation of my fabric postcard! I can’t wait!! The ones you showed here are super.

14. on 04 Aug 2006 at 2:40 pm la vie en rose

these are fabulous…and what a super cool dream. i don’t guess i’ve ever dreamed about flying.

have a good one!!!

15. on 04 Aug 2006 at 7:41 pm tiff

I cannot beleive you only STARTED to fly when you were a teenager. This is the age at which most people STOP. Amazing. And you learned it too. Impressive as all heck.

I used to swoop and divebomb and levitate, and up until I hit puberty it was all good. Now I have to MAKE myself do it. But I still can!

16. on 04 Aug 2006 at 8:48 pm Amber

You really knock me out, you are so talented! Those are great!!

I have never had a flying dream. dang. I think they are really good signs of a heathy life. I have had breathing under water dreams, though. Like being a mermaid… But then, water symbolizes emotions, so what dose that say about me? ha.

17. on 04 Aug 2006 at 9:50 pm gkgirl

cool to be able to fly!
    i wanna try! :)
    and funny how real it seemed…
    makes you wonder how the brain works… :)

18. on 04 Aug 2006 at 10:51 pm acumamakiki

Have a great weekend. I used to have dreams where I’d bounce, like a kangaroo. I loved that mode of transport.

19. on 05 Aug 2006 at 2:09 am Kim G.

Deb - your postcards were so cute! Love the flippy flops! Hope you and J. have a great time away. Relax and enjoy.

20. on 05 Aug 2006 at 9:48 am Ceebie

Deb - I loove these postcards! How can I get my hands on one? As for dreaming of flight, I never have but your dream sure sounds vivid!

21. on 05 Aug 2006 at 7:26 pm Bev in SW Ohio

Thanks for the B-day card and blog wishes. It was a day filled with eating - we had before lunch dessert, after lunch dessert and I had birthday dessert at Carraba’s too. On the “sugar wagon” today. See ya soon!! hugs, Bev

22. on 06 Aug 2006 at 1:11 am liz elayne

i love all the details of this dream. it could be its own short story or illustrated book. incredible!

and these postcards. you are so talented my dear. i was talking to lynn on the phone last night and we both agreen that you are just amazing.
    i hope hope hope i can one day come for quilt lessons!

23. on 06 Aug 2006 at 8:42 pm Anonymous

wow, didn’t know flying dreams were so common! I’ve had them since I was a kid, and mostly they are flights to places earthly and otherwise…exploring type stuff. I also have frequent dreams in which I can breathe water, so I’ve done lots of lake and ocean bottom explorations and general hanging out with the fish type stuff. These dreams are always quite lucid, the best kind! Cheers!

24. on 06 Aug 2006 at 11:38 pm Donna S.

I just found your blog & wanted you to know how much I enjoy it. Especially the teaching entries!! Thanks!

25. on 08 Aug 2006 at 11:17 am Deb R

Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I’m going to make this a group hug - er, I mean group reply! - instead of responding individually because I’m so behind on everything! Why is it that Real Life just keeps on keepin’ on during vacations? It’s very inconvenient. :-)
    It’s cool to read about some of the dreams you’ve had too. I love the idea of both the kangaroo bounce and the breathing underwater - I’ve never done either of those things in dreams! They both sound sooo fun!

Tammy, would you believe I meant to look for places to take SPC photos and then totally forgot? D’oh!

Liz, I want you to come for a quilting lesson!!!! I wish a bunch of us who visit each other’s blogs could get together for a big ol’ grown-up(ish) version of a slumber party. :-)
    Ceebie, now and then I either join fiber postcard swaps or make a few ahead and put them up for sale on my website, but I’ve been in a major sewing slump lately, so that hasn’t happened in a while. Other than that, the easiest way to get one is to take part in one of little contests I have here now and then and to choose a fiber postcard as your prize if you win. I nearly always offer that as one of the prize options. ;-)

26. on 08 Aug 2006 at 1:22 pm Kim Carney

I had flying dreams all the time probably until I became a mother and often wonder where they went. I read that flying dreams are about creativity … I used to go around and ask my friends if they had flying dreams. It was split, but then the other difference is HOW you fly in your dreams, some would have a running take off, some would just jump up and take off, some would take off from a high location .. I think it is fascinating.