Quilts For Change

Friday I drove up to Cincinnati to see the “Quilts for Change” exhibit, (sponsored by the Zonta Club of Cincinnati), with my friend Bev. This is only the second time for this exhibit, the first being in 2004, and I think they’re doing a good job with it. I hope they keep it up!

In fact, I would very much like to have a quilt in it some time but I keep forgetting to enter. Aaaarrrggghhh! Both years I’ve downloaded the prospectus and entry form, and had full intentions of sending in an entry to the jury. And both years the deadline has flown right on past while I was busy twiddling my thumbs or chasing butterflies through a meadow or something, until suddenly quilters on various lists I belong to start talking about getting acceptance letters and I think, “oh, um, gee…..if they’re sending acceptance letters, I guess the entry deadline is past, huh?” D’oh! Honestly, sometimes I think I need a keeper.

But for those of you who were smart enough to keep track of dates and who got the Good Mail letter - Yay you!! I saw quilts by several people I know from email lists or the Artful Quilter web ring. Congrats in particular to Diane, Gerrie, Kristin, and Pamela for having quilts in either the main show or one of the special exhibits. Your quilts looked wonderful. (I emailed all four of you a photo of your quilt with me as a Quilt Stunt Double, so if you didn’t get it and want to, let me know.)

Also, Bev’s daughter Denise entered a quilt she made as a gift for Bev and it got in and looked fabulous. Check it out:

“Beverly’s Poppy” by Denise Starck

She did lots of wonderful beadwork toward the center. It doesn’t show up much in the overall shot, but here’s a close-up with the contrast exaggerated so you can see some of the bling:

Pretty! Now that the exhibit is over the quilt is going to hang on a yellow wall beside Bev’s breakfast table. Lucky Bev!

It was fun seeing some quilts by artists I wasn’t previously familiar with too. I really loved three quilts by Cincinnati artist Maria Rubingh. This one, in particular, was my favorite:

“American Nymph” by Maria Rubingh

Her artist’s statement talks about how half the women in the US now wear a size 14 or larger, yet many of us are caught up in the idea that beauty and self-worth are tied to a number on the scale or a number on a clothing tag - the smaller the better - instead of celebrating finding beauty in all sizes and shapes. Shouldn’t beauty be about being healthy and strong and comfortable in our own skin instead of striving for some airbrushed ideal that isn’t even possible for some body types? I loved both the quilt itself and the sentiment behind it.

You can see more of Ms. Rubingh’s work here.

Hopefully this exhibit will be returning in 2008 and if you get a chance to go, I recommend it. Maybe I’ll even remember to enter something in that one. Ahem.

Oh, I have to show you what I bought at one of the vendor booths too! I didn’t go nuts at the vendors - the bulk of what little money I spent went for three fat quarters of fabric I bought as a gift for a friend. But when I saw some unique bookmarks in one booth, I just had to have this one:

Hellooooo! Bookmark! Softly pettable red hair! It says Celebrate! It would have been a crime if I hadn’t bought it, yes? This is my new VeryMostFavorite-est bookmark.

Of course besides the show it was great to get a chance to visit with Bev. We had Mexican food for lunch and Vietnamese food for supper. We went for a nice long walk after the air cooled off Friday evening and then came back and watched What Not To Wear while adding our own snarky commentary. It was a lovely day.

Speaking of walks, when J and I have been walking we’ve been noticing how loaded the oak trees are with acorns this year. So far the acorns are still very small, but there are massive amounts of them! According to hillbilly folk wisdom that’s supposed to be a sign of a bad winter to come. We’ll see… Whether it turns out to be true or not, those baby acorns inspired today’s DAT.

18 Responses to “Quilts For Change”

1. on 14 Aug 2006 at 12:13 am Gerrie

Love the Poppy and especially the american Nymph. I resemble that quilt minus one boob!!

2. on 14 Aug 2006 at 12:21 am Janet

The American Nymph is great. And I agree with her sentiment.

The bookmark is you!!

3. on 14 Aug 2006 at 12:37 am Amber

That poopy quilt is just so AMAZING! It really is such an art. You need to mark the dates in a date book!! Silly.

I also love the naked lady! Awesome.

4. on 14 Aug 2006 at 12:44 am Amber

By the way, your quilts are INSANE good!! you should enter the one of your an dyour sister dreaming of shoes. I like that one! hehehe
    I can’t believe how much the quilts look like drawings.

5. on 14 Aug 2006 at 2:33 am Catherine

I know I left a comment on the previous post but it’s not there, Very strange. I’m a centaur.
    The quilts are wonderful. Lucky you to see the whole show. I hope you remember to enter next time.

6. on 14 Aug 2006 at 7:29 am dee

the poppy quilt is amazing-one of my very favorite flowers. They remind me of my wonderful mother-in-law,Dot,who passed away some time ago. They were her favs too-when I see them I think of her. That thing about acorns has always been true for us and boy are we loaded with acorns…ugh..is it too early to buy lots of fabric in case I get snowed in???

7. on 14 Aug 2006 at 7:54 am lovegreendog

on the american nymph -is it a photo on the fabric, and then quilted?

and we have quadrillions of acorns up here too - uh oh…

8. on 14 Aug 2006 at 9:29 am Deb R

I resememble it too, Gerrie! (with both boobs, so far)

It IS, isn’t it, Janet! :-)
    Um, Amber, this is where the story gets really embarrassing. I HAD the dates marked on my office calendar, but that only works if you (I, that is!!) remember to check the calendar. Heh. Ironically, my sisters quilt is exactly the one I would have entered if I hadn’t missed the deadline!

Probably some bit of Blogger weirdness sucked the previous comment into a black hole, Catherine. I’ve had it happen to me on other blogs! I hope I remember to enter too.

Oh Dee, don’t you know it’s NEVER too early to stock up on fabric for winter? ;-) Maybe if we get snowed in I’ll start sewing again out of sheer cabin feverishness.

Hi Angela! Nope, it’s bunches of little bits of fabric, some of them opaque, some sheer, all layered and stitched together. Pretty amazing, yes? If you take a look at a detail shot M.R. shows of another quilt on her website you can see the method a bit better. If you’re interested, click here.

9. on 14 Aug 2006 at 9:31 am Jennifer

sounds like a very wonderful get away! that bookmark is perfect! Love the quilts you shared. Wow, that Poppy is gorgeous. A fav flower of mine.

10. on 14 Aug 2006 at 10:17 am Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com)

I love “American Nymph” and the sentiment behind it, too! Very nice :-)
    Please, no bad winter!

11. on 14 Aug 2006 at 10:35 am Gypsy

How gorgeous! And for a good cause.

12. on 14 Aug 2006 at 11:39 am Karoda

Thanks for introducing me to a new artist with a great attitude about herself!

13. on 14 Aug 2006 at 2:06 pm gkgirl

cool quilts!

i wish i
    could do that
    kind of thing.

14. on 14 Aug 2006 at 3:34 pm lovegreendog

that is outstanding, i love it, thanks for answering my question Deb.

15. on 14 Aug 2006 at 6:04 pm Tammy

Awesome quilts! Of course you had to buy it…dah! LOL Thanks

16. on 14 Aug 2006 at 9:33 pm Kim G.

Those quilts are amazing. How does one get such subtle color gradiations from pieces of fabric sewn together? (I’m awestruck by the American Nymph one!) Wow! Glad you had a great time enjoying the art and the day with your friend.

17. on 15 Aug 2006 at 4:42 am Kristin La Flamme

I love the poppy and the Nymph. And Pamela’s quilts make me smile :-) Unfortunately though, I didn’t get an email of you as stunt double by my quilt(s)…

18. on 19 Aug 2006 at 4:40 pm Elle