One Deep Breath: Wickedly Musical

Over at One Deep Breath, the theme for the past week has been “The Sound of Music” and we’ve been urged to write and post a haiku about the role of music in our lives. I know it’s time for a new prompt, this being Sunday, but I thought I’d post something at the last minute for this theme anyway.

One of the things this theme made me think of is my love for musicals. I know they’re silly and corny and all that jazz (har!) but I adore them. They make me feel happy.

In addition to loving musical films, I also love musicals on stage and I try to make it to Cincinnati at least once a year or so to see something from their Broadway Series stage productions.

The very first musical movie I consciously remember watching (and loving) was “The Wizard of Oz” and the last musical stage show I saw (and loved) this past March, was the related story “Wicked”, so I decided to post a haiku about each story and a collage that links them together.

In a place called Oz
Ruby shoes grant a girl’s wish.
“There’s no place like home.”

Each tale has two sides.
A wicked witch was once a
girl with wishes too.

“Two Sides”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

13 Responses to “One Deep Breath: Wickedly Musical”

1. on 27 Aug 2006 at 6:34 am Catherine

I love the second haiku especially. I haven’t seen “Wicked”, I don’t think it has been done in NZ yet.

2. on 27 Aug 2006 at 8:04 am Triller

your 2nd haiku is very insightful, my pretty! everyone should remember that.
    and your collage is neat too!
    Patty (Triller’s Mum

3. on 27 Aug 2006 at 8:31 am gkgirl

i wonder was that musical
    based on the book “wicked”
    it must be…
    i glanced at that book just
    the other day out of curiousity…
    i wonder what it’s like?

cool collage
    and haikus :)

4. on 27 Aug 2006 at 9:59 am Janet

Still haven’t seen Wicked but it is on my list. Musicals are great! I’ve always liked them, too.

Very cool collage (with red shoes in the middle!!) and haiku.

5. on 27 Aug 2006 at 10:54 am kristen

oh deb deb deb — YOU are the haiku-ostest with the mostest! these were really great haikus.

the 2nd haiku is very insightful. you just rock :)

6. on 27 Aug 2006 at 11:21 am S.L. White

An amazing set of haikus… and a great choice of subject! Thanks… rock on!

7. on 27 Aug 2006 at 2:56 pm Shirley Goodwin

The Wizard of Oz was the first movie I ever saw, when I was about 5 years old (ahem!). It made a huge impression on me as I was terrrified of the witches. Rock on, haiku girl!

8. on 27 Aug 2006 at 6:58 pm tiff

ev’ry time I read
    deb’s blog about the art things
    i am inspired.

:>

9. on 27 Aug 2006 at 8:01 pm kirsty

In a place called Aus.
    a kiwi chick breathes in dust
    there’s no place like home

The Outback is crap
    can’t see what all the fuss is
    go to beach instead

Yep. Deb you are definitely better at haiku than me. Thanks for the link - back at ya, baby.

10. on 27 Aug 2006 at 10:23 pm Kim G.

Very cool. Yellow brick road groovy. Loved “Wicked” the book. I’d highly recommend it, but you MUST give it about 50 pages to get going (for those who haven’t read it yet). The show’s coming to Portland this fall but the tickets are a hefty chunk of change. I think I’ll have to wait until the next time it comes around, but I can’t wait to see it someday!

Heard about the airplane crash in KY today. Hope none of your friends or family are affected. Our hearts and thoughts are with those who were impacted by this.

11. on 27 Aug 2006 at 10:54 pm Nellie Bass Durand

FUN! I live in the land of OZ. Frank Baum had a summer cottage just down the beach from us. There was a little girl who lived next door to him whose name was Dorothy. If anyone has ever walked in the high canapied and open floored woods in this part of Michigan, they’d recognize the Emerald Green Forest … the light truly is green. Also, it’s just about the time of year when the sun sets at the right angle to turn our red brick paths gold for a few minutes each evening.

12. on 28 Aug 2006 at 7:27 am chiefbiscuit

Great - thanks for the nice slant on a well-loved musical - I love them too.

13. on 28 Aug 2006 at 9:33 am Deb R

Catherine, good to see you back! I hope you get a chance to see “Wicked” someday. It’s a spectacle!

Thanks Patty! :-)
    Hi gkgirl! The stage musical “Wicked” was inspired by the book, but is (as I understand it) quite different. I have the book, but haven’t read it yet. I understand from people who are familiar with both that the book is much darker. The musical follows the book’s story to a point and then takes a sharp turn in a different direction for an entirely different take on the story. FWIW though, I read something by Gregory Maguire (the book’s author) where he said he really liked what the playwright did with his story idea.

Thanks Janet. I hope you get a chance to see it!

“Haiku-ostes with the mostes” LOL!! I love it, kristen, thanks!

Thanks slw!

Cool, Shirley! I don’t remember being afraid of the witches but I was totally freaked out by the green yelling floating head of the wizard. I was utterly convinced that’s what thunder looked like and whenever there was a storm I thought a giant floating head was in the sky yelling at me.

Thanks Tiff! Love the haiku! :-)
    Kirsty, LOL! Good haikus from you too. (although I’m not sure Aussie readers will agree!)

I’ve heard such mixed reviews on the book, Kim, from veryvery good to veryvery bad. I do want to try it at some point. And I hope you get to see the musical sometime too, although keep in mind what I mentioned above to gkgirl - VERY different take on the story from the book from what I understand.

And thank you for your well wishes about the plane crash. As of the last casualty list we saw, we didn’t know anyone on board but of course we feel sympathy for everyone who lost anyone. And I’ll admit it freaked me out a little just because J takes a LOT of those little Comair commuter flights in his job.

Nellie, that’s fascinating to read all the thinks that might have influenced Baum in his story. Cool!

Thanks CB! :-)