Red Shoe Ramblings » Gather ‘Round the Table

Gather ‘Round the Table

I saw this food-themed meme over at Fond of Snape and thought it was fun, so I just had to play along.

How do you like your eggs? Deviled. Or scrambled. Maybe scrambled with some dill weed and Swiss cheese sprinkled on top. Or fried over-medium. Or in an omelet with lots of veggies. Or…oh, never mind.

How do you take your coffee/tea? I like my first two cups of coffee in the morning to be tall, strong, black, and steaming hot. No frills, just mega-caffeine. If I drink any coffee later in the day I like to have frou-frou flavored coffees like vanilla-hazelnut with sugar and milk, either hot or iced. I like hot tea with a little sugar. (My favorites are English breakfast, Earl Grey, and Lady Grey.) I like iced tea either sweetened or plain - doesn’t make much difference to me.

Favorite breakfast foods: Cereal with fruit and milk, or yogurt topped with granola, or oatmeal with a little real maple syrup drizzled on it. Or I’ll go clear to the other end of the spectrum and have something like a bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuit from McDonald’s. I know, I know…SO bad!

Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy? Preferably smooth. I’m more picky about brand than crunch and picky people pick Peter Pan peanut butter.

What kind of dressing on your salad? Almost anything. I like to use a variety of dressings so I don’t get bored with any of them.

Coke or Pepsi? Coke when I drink it at all, which is extremely rarely.

You’re feeling lazy. What do you make? A bowl of cereal, if you want to call pouring milk over cereal “making” something. Or microwave popcorn. Or a scrambled egg. Or a grilled cheese if I have any bread in the house, which I quite often don’t. (This is all assuming I’m feeding just myself. If there’s anyone else in the house, I’ll come up with something better than this even when I’m not in the mood because I’m not gonna hand someone else a bowl of cereal and call it “supper.” I’m just not.)

You’re feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? Pepperoni, mushroom, onion, and green olive.

You feel like cooking. What do you make? Do I really? How odd of me. Oh, I dunno, pasta maybe. Or I might bake a cake or something. I really think you’re mistaken that I feel like cooking. Are you sure you don’t mean I feel like going out to eat?

Do any foods bring back good memories? Sure! Almost anything that’s traditional US southern cooking reminds me of my mom and both grandmothers and is loaded with good memories - country ham and biscuits, pinto beans and corn bread, fried chicken and gravy, blackberry cobbler, peach crisp - stuff like that.

Do any foods bring back bad memories? Um, yeah, but trust me when I say you don’t want me to tell you why. Next!

Do any foods remind you of someone? Steak makes me think of J. Chess pie makes me think of my dad.

Is there a food you refuse to eat? Loads. I’m kind of picky. Off the top of my head - any and all organ meats, cabbage in any form, dill pickles, any sort of melon, bananas, and most root vegetables (I like potatoes - white or sweet - and carrots, but that’s about it for me and roots).

What was your favorite food as a child? Hhhmm, I’m not sure I had one thing that stood out as a favorite, except that I’ve always had a huge sweet tooth.

Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love? Asparagus

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate? Bananas, although it’s not a matter of hating the taste. I developed an allergy to them in the past 20 years or so and if I eat them now the inside of my mouth swells up. That tends to make one feel a little hostile toward the food in question.

Favorite fruit & vegetable: Raspberries and the formerly-hated asparagus

Favorite junk food: If I’m in the mood for salty - tortilla chips and salsa. If I’m in the mood for sweet - just about any sort of homemade cookies.

Favorite between meal snack: See previous answer. Sadly, if I want a snack, I probably want junk food, although I do like fruit a lot too.

Do you have any weird food habits? Well they don’t seem weird to me, but I have some habits other people seem to find weird. Like I detest putting tartar sauce on a fish sandwich but I love to dip French fries in tartar sauce. And I like to dip onion rings in bleu cheese salad dressing, although it isn’t my favorite dressing to put on a salad. I don’t particularly like to dip fries OR onion rings in ketchup.

You’re on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? I am? Damn, I hate when that happens. Salad. Fruit.

You’re off your diet. Now what would you like? Pizza and cake!

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? On a scale of 1 to 10, if 1 is like plain white rice and 10 is so loaded with spices it makes tears stream down your face, I like Indian or Thai food at about a 7.

Can I get you a drink? I don’t know, can you?

May I get you a drink? Ok, thanks! I’ll take a margarita, rocks, lots of salt. Unless I’m driving, then I’ll take a tall glass of ice water with a slice of lemon or lime.

Red wine or white? White please. Something not too sweet.

We only have beer: Ugh, I hate beer. If beer is my only choice, I’ll take an icy cold Shiner Hefeweizen and take small, polite sips and try not to grimace.

Favorite dessert? Coconut cake. No, wait, coconut cream pie. No, key lime pie. No, no, white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Or, ooh, how about chocolate rum cake. No, um…what was the question again?

The perfect nightcap? I’ll stick with Janet’s answer - a kiss.

Edited to add (based on Catherine’s comment):
US to UK/Aussie/Kiwi Translator
cookie = biscuit
biscuit = scone (savory, not sweet)
fries = chips
chips = crisps

(I don’t mean to leave out anyone from other countries, but I’m not sure what everyone calls these things. I just know these because my bestest bud is from NZ. Well, that and the fact that I like a lot of British TV and novels.)

If you want to post your own answers to this meme, tell me so in comments and you can consider yourself officially tagged. Or you can bypass the Self-serve Meme Tag line and get in the Comment Express line if you just want to say hi.

Today’s DAT:

“Caution”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

16 Responses to “Gather ‘Round the Table”

1. on 03 Sep 2006 at 1:40 am Catherine

Clearly a biscuit in the USA isn’t the same thing as a biscuit in New Zealand. Over here it is more or less what you would call a cookie. I can’t imagine a bacon egg and cheese cookie. I think that might be what McDonald’s here calls a “bacon, egg and cheese McMuffin”. Or maybe not.

2. on 03 Sep 2006 at 8:53 am Deb R

Oh yes, two countries seperated by a common language. :-) What you call a biscuit is what we call a cookie. What we call a biscuit is what you call a scone (savory version, not sweet). I would assume a McMuffin is probably the same both places - an English muffin as the bread with the egg and stuff in the middle.

3. on 03 Sep 2006 at 9:05 am gkgirl

man.

now i’m hungry.

heehee…
    great list…
    very interesting and humorous :)

4. on 03 Sep 2006 at 10:23 am Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com)

dude, someone lurrrrrrrrrves eggs :-)
    Loved reading this, and the picture below makes me want to visit the Pennsylvania Dutch (I know you’re not from there, that’s just what the picture makes me think of, my Mom’s from there).

5. on 03 Sep 2006 at 10:37 am daniela

Hi,
    I just found your comment on my blog, posted long time ago. Thanks for dropping by.
    Shall have a read of your writing now.
    Have a great day!
    d

6. on 03 Sep 2006 at 1:53 pm Janet

I always enjoy your answers when you do memes….and these were no exception. Think I might have to do this one next week.

The photo reminds me of visits to the Amish community in Illinois when I was younger.

7. on 03 Sep 2006 at 2:48 pm Shirley Goodwin

Heehee, I like the photo. Here in Oamaru, we have some that say (and depict) “Penguins Crossing”.

Yes, we have a colony of Little Blue Penguins here, and Yellow-Eyed ones over the hill at the next beach. Cute eh?

8. on 03 Sep 2006 at 3:05 pm Tammy

You have excellent tastes :)

9. on 03 Sep 2006 at 3:31 pm Susannah

yum… i’ll have a magarita with you ;-) x

and the biscuit thing is weird. to me a scone is only ever sweet, as in a cream tea (scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam (US translation: jelly) served with pot of tea)… hmmm… you crazy kids with your american english ;-) x

10. on 03 Sep 2006 at 8:59 pm Amber

Hahahha! Your lists always make me LOL. As Lil’G says, “You funny Yady”.

organ meat–I just threw up a little in my mouth…

11. on 03 Sep 2006 at 11:39 pm January

Oh yeah, I’m all over this meme!

Tag!

Loved your answers. I think we order almost the same pizza (I like green peppers instead of onions.)

The photo is a hoot!

12. on 04 Sep 2006 at 1:10 am Anonymous

You could add South Africa to the mix as well. It seems America stands on its own. :-) Marian in South Africa

13. on 04 Sep 2006 at 1:38 am Kim G.

Yum - this was a fun meme. I’ll save it for a “rainy” day when I need something fun to write!

14. on 04 Sep 2006 at 9:03 am Caitlin

*see Caity rush to do foooood meme*

15. on 04 Sep 2006 at 9:04 am Deb R

Oops, guess I should’ve put an “eat before you read this” warning on this, eh, gkgirl? :-D
    Mm, more like lurrrrrrving variety, Janet. I’m not suprprised the pic reminds you of PA Dutch territory. The landscape in this part of KY is similar to PA and we have lots and lots of Amish and Mennonite families here. (Hence the buggy sign!)

Thank you for stopping by as well, Daniela. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

I hope you Do do the meme, Janet! I’d love to read your answers.

Oooh, I’d love to see the penguins, Shirley. I’ve only ever seen them in a zoo.

Thanks Tammy! :-)
    You might not even like US biscuits then, Susannah. It might just taste to you like a scone gone horribly wrong. LOL! But if we ever get together for margaritaas, I’ll make you some biscuits and you can see what you think!

Yep, that’s how organ meat affects me too, Amber. ;-)
    YAY, Jan! I’m so glad you’re doing this one! We need to get together for pizza. We could put onions on half and green peppers on the other half.

Hi Marian! Gee, why am I not suprprised that the US is the oddball in the lot? :-D
    Cool, Kim, I’ll look forward to reading your answers one day!

16. on 04 Sep 2006 at 9:04 am Deb R

Yaay Caity!! Can’t wait to read your answers!!