One Deep Breath: Solitude

The theme at One Deep Breath this week is “Solitude.”

Here’s what Susan had to say about the theme: “At times we seek solitude. In traditional Japanese haiku, the poet often seeks to portray wabi-sabi which has many interpretations in Western culture. In general, the meaning implies beauty in imperfection, impermanence, and incompleteness. (see Wiki Wiki Web) It also infers a sense of solitude.”

Cool! That seems like a theme that could go a lot of different directions. Here are a couple of places my thoughts took me (these two are not meant to be read as a pair or anything, they’re just two different takes on the theme):

My imagination
soars when I am alone in
the Silence of Me.

Standing alone, wrapped
in chains and wire. Still there is
beauty at my feet.

“Still Standing”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

23 Responses to “One Deep Breath: Solitude”

1. on 04 Sep 2006 at 9:19 am Triller

What a fitting poem for the picture!
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Patty

2. on 04 Sep 2006 at 9:45 am jenclair

I agree with Patty. Was there a gate? Why padlocks?

3. on 04 Sep 2006 at 10:10 am Cathy

Love the haiku, esp the first one. I must do this solitude theme. I haven’t done any in awhile.

4. on 04 Sep 2006 at 10:39 am paris parfait

Wonderful thoughtful haiku - the second is a perfect match for the photo.

5. on 04 Sep 2006 at 12:04 pm Jennifer

so good, Love the “Silence of Me” line in particular. Very well done :)

6. on 04 Sep 2006 at 1:18 pm Star

I especially like the first one…the silence of me. Beautiful.

7. on 04 Sep 2006 at 3:02 pm Trish

Love the haiku’s. The second one is perfect with the photograph. Great as always Deb!

8. on 04 Sep 2006 at 3:25 pm Laume

I really like the second one in particular. It goes really well with the poem. Is that a coincidence or did you write it in response to the poem. Hmmm, must be the latter.

9. on 04 Sep 2006 at 4:26 pm Catherine

Well, I started to read the second one before I looked at the photo, and wondered why you described yourself as “wrapped in chains and wire” :) They are both lovely

10. on 04 Sep 2006 at 6:11 pm Caitlin

Beautiful illustration for that haiku, sweetie!

11. on 04 Sep 2006 at 7:34 pm Tammy

I loved “the silence of me” and the beauty found in the solitude of the tree (pole?) I tried to get creative but I may confuse everyone instead. LOL Well done!

12. on 04 Sep 2006 at 8:18 pm kathy

beautiful…haiku and photograph

13. on 04 Sep 2006 at 10:12 pm beccabee2005

I especially love your first haiku! How true - imagination does soar in the “silence of me!”

Well said.

14. on 05 Sep 2006 at 12:36 am Amber

This is a really deep haiku. Really pretty. i feel like that sometimes…

15. on 05 Sep 2006 at 10:09 am Gypsy

Oh, that is lovely.

16. on 05 Sep 2006 at 1:24 pm Deb R

Thanks Patty!

Hi Jen. There still is a gate, but it was open so it isn’t in the photo. ;-)
    Looking forward to reading yours, Cathy!

Thanks, Tara!

Thanks,Jennifer and Star. I was hoping that line would make sense to people.

Thanks, Trish. It’s odd how sometimes I’ll take a photo and then the theme for ODB fits it somehow. That’s happened several times in the past few months.

Hi Laume. I assume you mean goes with the photo, yes? If so, yes, the photo came first and was (along with the Solitude theme) inspiration for the haiku.

Hehehe…too funny, Catherine! Although, y’know, it could still work as a metaphor as I think most of us have things that bind us somehow - obligations, neuroses, whatever!

Thanks, Caity! (THe photo is taken near the end of our lane.)

Thanks, Tammy. You’re sort of right with both tree and pole - it’s a gate post made from the trunk of a cedar tree.

Thanks Kathy!

Thanks, Becca. I’m finding it fascinating to see who says the like the first one better and who says the second one. It seems like a pretty close contest!

Thanks, Amber. (I think most of us do.)

Thanks, Gypsy, glad you like it.

17. on 05 Sep 2006 at 1:41 pm Clare

The “Silence of Me” - I love it.

18. on 05 Sep 2006 at 4:49 pm Helen

Really enjoyed reading this. Beautifully done:)

19. on 05 Sep 2006 at 4:54 pm Sandy

The -silence of me- I wish I had thought of that!
    Great haiku and what a neat banner.

20. on 06 Sep 2006 at 12:07 pm Endment

powerful image
    “silence of me” will linger in my mind. Thanks for sharing these words

21. on 06 Sep 2006 at 1:15 pm Deb R

Clare, Helen, Sandy, Endment, so glad you all liked the post! Thanks for visiting.

22. on 09 Sep 2006 at 5:53 pm AnnieElf

How unbelievable beautiful. I keep starring at this picture and the words you used to express it. How did you DO this?

23. on 11 Sep 2006 at 10:12 am Deb R

Thanks Annie! I’m not sure if your question was truly a question or if it was rhetorical, but in case it was a question - I took the photo first and it inspired the haiku. The sentiment expressed in the haiku is what the photo made me think of. And I altered the photo a bit in Photoshop Elements just because that’s fun. :-)