Red Shoe Ramblings » SPC: Imperfection, Week 5 - Goofball

SPC: Imperfection, Week 5 - Goofball

Do my eyes deceive me? After a month that has lasted approximately 11,847 days, can it truly be the LAST Tuesday in October?? It is, it really IS! And that means it’s the last week of October’s Self-Portrait Challenge theme of Imperfection. Yay!

So, what one last horrid flaw should I share during this Paean to Flawed Humanity? Here it is - the sad truth. (You should maybe sit down because I think you’ll be shocked. Or not.) Y’all, I’m not cool. I’m not dignified, or regal, or sophisticated. I am, in fact, a big ol’ dorky goofball.

I’m someone who, when she sees her 17-year-old niece wearing extra-long blue-and-silver false eyelashes doesn’t think, “how silly” but instead thinks “oooh, I wants me some of those!” I’m someone who would grab those eyelashes off the table when said niece takes them off and would put them on herself and would then try to wink, despite the fact that I can’t actually make my facial muscles create a proper wink. I can sort of close one eye if I squint the other one ALMOST closed and screw my face up into an unattractive grimace, but I don’t think that’s really winking. I’m someone who, when her sister grabs a camera and says “hey, hold up your wine glass and give us a thumbs up,” doesn’t think “well, no, that would look stupid” but instead says “Duuuuh, Okay!” and then posts the resultant photo on the internet.

Aha, wine, you may be thinking. So this is like one of those drunks wearing a lampshade moments, right? Wrong. I had not yet finished even one glass of wine when this photo was taken. I wasn’t drunk. I wasn’t even slightly buzzed. This is just who I am. I hope I’m still allowed to appear in public now that I’ve revealed this terrible imperfection. Ahem.

“Self-portrait as a Goofball”
(clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

PS - Those of you who saw last Tuesday’s SPC post, take note of the bruise just under my watch band - “a little clumsy,” remember? And nope, I have no clue where or how I got that.

33 Responses to “SPC: Imperfection, Week 5 - Goofball”

1. on 31 Oct 2006 at 1:32 am ceanandjen

And this is EXACTLY what we all appreciate about you!!!! You are absolutely fabulous…and perfect just the way you are.

And the eyelashes…sooooo cooool!

xoxoxox

2. on 31 Oct 2006 at 1:41 am liz elayne

you are fantastic. FANTASTIC!

3. on 31 Oct 2006 at 2:40 am kirsty

Now you see, this is what makes the rest of us goofballs feel better and ok about ourselves. Because you really ARE cool, so there’s hope for us too!

4. on 31 Oct 2006 at 4:04 am Catherine

You are a very lovable goofball :) What’s the theme for November?

5. on 31 Oct 2006 at 7:08 am Joelle

Ah Deb, you’re fun loving!! SUCH an important attribute! ;)

6. on 31 Oct 2006 at 7:29 am Suzi-k

well if loving those eyelashes is geeky, call me one too! We really do seem to have a lot in common, love the red hair too. I once went to a party with blue glitter makeup and huge falsies strapped on over my blouse, with a great big bright blue satin cape on. Unfortunately it was necessary to stop off at a store on the way for a coke……the shop owner is still recovering! :) But you know what, i know so many people who work so hard at being cool, and miss out on so much enjoyment for fear of seeming uncool, I’d rather be an over-grown over-enthusiastic kid any day!

7. on 31 Oct 2006 at 7:47 am gkgirl

heh.
    more of us should suffer
    from that “imperfection”…
    the world would be a
    funner place :) love the photo!

8. on 31 Oct 2006 at 8:12 am The Calico Cat

You are the crazy aunt who did not loose her glimmer slowly through child rearing. :o)

9. on 31 Oct 2006 at 8:17 am bee

lovin it.

10. on 31 Oct 2006 at 8:54 am dee

this is exactly why I just adore you-something about the precariously placed eyelashes about to fall into your glass…just fabulous. thanks for the lovely comment on my blog-I just finished the longest meme in the history of memes so I need a drink…as soon as I put on my eyelashes….hic

11. on 31 Oct 2006 at 9:16 am Janet

I love this picture! You did so good with the self portraits; I felt bad that I encouraged you and didn’t do it myself.

12. on 31 Oct 2006 at 9:25 am Jeremy Stockwell

Fantastic Picture. Hilarious! Nice job sticking it out all 5 weeks!

13. on 31 Oct 2006 at 9:40 am deb

You drunken monkey, you.
    I just bought another 20$ worth of candy for the beggars and a bottle of Pinot Grigio for myself. Just hope I don’t pass out and let the pumpkins go up in flames.

14. on 31 Oct 2006 at 10:17 am Janet

You are PERFECTION!….no flaws that I can see. We should all take a page from your book and act like a “goofball”….just think how much fun everyone would have. I’m ready!!

15. on 31 Oct 2006 at 10:58 am January

There is such joy in your photos, writings, and art that I could not imagine you any other way!

I agree with Janet, you are PERFECTION!

16. on 31 Oct 2006 at 11:43 am Left-handed Trees...

Will you be my auntie? What fun…

17. on 31 Oct 2006 at 11:53 am Georgia

I love love love love love love love this!!!!! I too am a total dork ball. Hooray!

xoxo
    Georgia

18. on 31 Oct 2006 at 12:02 pm acumamakiki

Perfection!! This is exactly what I needed to see and read today.
    Happy Halloweenie!!

19. on 31 Oct 2006 at 12:37 pm cinderelly

perfection sucks! i love that line in ‘practical magic’ that the auntie says, “being normal is not neccesarily a virtue, it merely denotes a lack of courage!” i love that movie!

20. on 31 Oct 2006 at 12:37 pm dragonfly

Adorable lashes and wink “attempt”. I have a cousin who can’t wink - it’s hilarious. The only thing missing was a….
    CUPCAKE! All goofballs deserve cupcakes. Heh.

21. on 31 Oct 2006 at 12:44 pm cinderelly

oops…the post above me called you perfection, i said ‘perfection sucks’! did not mean it that way, i meant ’cause you are a ‘goofball’ and ‘not perfect’ that perfection sucks that way! goofball rules! shutting up now!

22. on 31 Oct 2006 at 2:15 pm tiff

As if being a big ol’ dorky goofball is something to be ashamed of. Ha!!!

23. on 31 Oct 2006 at 2:22 pm Kim Carney

delicious goofiness!

24. on 31 Oct 2006 at 3:14 pm Paige

Ya know what I would have picked them up & tried them on too. Is there something wrong with being a goof? Cause like I need to know if I need help or sumpin.

25. on 31 Oct 2006 at 4:51 pm Diane D.

I just wish I had those eyelashes too! I’d call you more “fun loving” than goofy.

26. on 31 Oct 2006 at 6:00 pm Karen

what a great post! Happy Halloween!

27. on 31 Oct 2006 at 9:23 pm melba

I want those false eyelashes. They are too cool!

I think we all have our big dork moments, but it does SEEM like some poeple always have it all together, but we all know that is just not possible (but I continue to have moments that I forget this truth!)

28. on 31 Oct 2006 at 10:10 pm Nicole

so fun! i want some too!

29. on 31 Oct 2006 at 11:40 pm Kim G.

Awww - but you’re the cutest darn goofball with metalic eyelashes that I’ve ever seen! ;)

30. on 01 Nov 2006 at 12:05 am Colorsonmymind

Oh I do love your goof ball self. That is the part that makes me chuckle so often. Then there are all the other beautiful aspects of you-the artistic, the contemplative etc that all fit perfectly.

I do think it is cool that the eyelashes match your shirt perfectly.

Great winking job too.
    Hugs and kisses

31. on 01 Nov 2006 at 8:10 am lovegreendog

wine and super lashes plus a thumbs up = perfection :) i love your silliness!

32. on 01 Nov 2006 at 10:47 pm Nellie Bass Durand

Golly, what else is there to say? Ditto to ALL of the above. I’m another fan of you and your many talents … writing, art, humor, et al.

33. on 02 Nov 2006 at 9:52 am Deb R

Thanks so much everyone! With so many comments on this I’m not going to try to respond to everyone individually, but I appreciate every one of you who took the time to say something. Glad you enjoyed the photo and the post! :::beam:::