Red Shoe Ramblings » Poetry Thursday: Bring in the Humor

Poetry Thursday: Bring in the Humor

That’s the prompt for Poetry Thursday this week - to write a humorous poem or take a favorite joke and turn it into a poem.

At first I couldn’t think of a thing in the world and was just going to share an old favorite Dorothy Parker poem. (Yes, I know hers are often dark, but some of them are darkly funny!)
But then I read further and the post goes on to add,

One rule though: Please avoid limericks. Yes, we know. They can be fun. My grandpa can make up some great ones off the top of his head. However, this week (or whenever you tackle this prompt), please avoid the “there once was a lady from Spain…” references and so on.”

Damn! No limericks? I love limericks! And then an idea hit, thanks to my rebellious inner child. So here is a poem I wrote about not writing limericks. Although I more often write free verse, this one rhymes, because…well, read on and you’ll see why it had to.

Instructions

“No limericks,” they said to me.
No mention of Nantucket.
No naughty verse that ends in phrases
one could rhyme with “bucket.”

Just write a poem to make us laugh,
or chortle, smile or grin,
but when you do, avoid the form
that often must begin:

“There once was a girl from Timbuktu…”
or maybe “…Austin, Texas…”
Then it gets crude as you allude
to the battle of the sexes.

So write a poem to make us grin,
or snicker, smile or laugh;
and yet deny the urges of
your raunchy, childish half.

Humor that is limerick-free?
Now there is quite a riddle!
Maybe they won’t notice
if I sneak one in the middle.

Here’s today’s Daily Art Thang:

pink trio

“Pink Trio” (clickable)
I love peony season!!!

25 Responses to “Poetry Thursday: Bring in the Humor”

1. on 17 May 2007 at 8:53 am Amy

Granted, I am not a poerty gal (not really - I do like Shakespeare & the Brownings & Shel Silverstein - but not much else…) But I really like this one! (I like it for its subversiveness…)

I dated a “Poetry Guy” and the stuff that he wrote/read was “odd” to be polite - so that is my excuse for not really liking poetry…

2. on 17 May 2007 at 9:36 am Jeannine

Clever interpretation! Delightful!

3. on 17 May 2007 at 9:47 am Jana

My inner child just gave yours a high-five! *giggle* I love your almost-limerick free poem!

4. on 17 May 2007 at 9:55 am denise

Excellent! Very humourous indeed! ;)

5. on 17 May 2007 at 10:10 am Star

Kudos! I love it; it made me smile (really big!) and that was the point of the assignment, right?

Love the peonies; when I see a bush laden with blooms I just want to run up and hug it. Peonies make me happy :D

6. on 17 May 2007 at 10:37 am kristen

giggle!
    that was wonderful :)

7. on 17 May 2007 at 11:03 am LJCohen

Enjoyed your sub*versive* verse.

LOL.

8. on 17 May 2007 at 12:07 pm Regina Clare Jane

Oh, you’re sneaky alright! That was fabulous!

9. on 17 May 2007 at 12:26 pm dragonfly

That poem was TOO cute and your Peonies are too gorgeous. Are you growing all these yourself? My black thumb is green with envy. *grin*

10. on 17 May 2007 at 12:57 pm Annie

you are a naughty girl. being from Massachusetts, the “nantucket” one is a special favorite!

11. on 17 May 2007 at 1:02 pm gautami

Tongue in cheek humour! Weel I can’t get over tongues today.

Read my post, you will know why..

12. on 17 May 2007 at 2:13 pm bookbinds

very clever and fun! definitely made me smile.

13. on 17 May 2007 at 3:42 pm Sara

I rarely read poetry on anyone’s blog - but, today I just did for some reason! And, it made me laugh!!! I loved your poem!!! I may be reading your Poetry Thursday posts more often…

14. on 17 May 2007 at 3:52 pm ceanandjen

Brilliant Deb! :-)

15. on 17 May 2007 at 6:25 pm Scotty

Well done, Deb, well done indeed. :-)

16. on 17 May 2007 at 6:37 pm daisies

hee hee ~ you are such a delicious little rebel … I LOVE this !!! and chortled and giggled all the way through it : )

17. on 17 May 2007 at 6:45 pm Minx

Pert poem - laughing….

18. on 17 May 2007 at 8:36 pm Shirley

Well done, Deb! And lovely peonies - they grow well where I live now.

19. on 18 May 2007 at 2:53 am Catherine

I think that’s very funny - it’s so hard to write good rhyming verse that isn’t clunky and awkward. the peonies are beautiful

20. on 18 May 2007 at 7:27 am Shaz

That was Brillant you are very clever indeed.

21. on 18 May 2007 at 7:30 am Gino

This gave me a much needed laugh. Hurrah!

22. on 18 May 2007 at 5:11 pm JC

That poem is genius!

23. on 19 May 2007 at 3:26 pm Crafty Green Poet

that made me smile, you used the rhymes well.

24. on 21 May 2007 at 9:10 am DebR

:::::beam:::::

Really, that’s all…I’m just beaming (intensely!) that you all enjoyed that because I had a blast writing it!

25. on 22 May 2007 at 12:25 am chicklegirl

I think you did a great job following the instructions–absolutely no references to ladies from Spain, and it was sidesplitting!