Red Shoe Ramblings » Time Capsule

Time Capsule

Yesterday’s post was a bit of a blast from the past (and thank you for the lovely comments on it, y’all!) and today I’m continuing that theme. This month’s host for the Getting to Know You day at Create a Connection is Charlotte and she’s asking us some questions about the past and the future. Here are my responses - heavy on the photos. :-)

Where were you in 1987? In school? Working? Single? Married? Attached? What was important to you? What were you doing creatively? Tell us a bit about your life then.

I had just started dating Johnny near the end of ‘86, so by the summer of ‘87 we’d been together a few months. This photo, from July of that year, is the first time he took me down to southern Kentucky to meet his family and we went with one of his brothers, sister-in-law, and niece to visit Cumberland Falls.

summer 87

My most distinct memory of that visit is that I felt like there were brothers appearing out of thin air! I’m the oldest of three children, while J is the middle child of nine, so meeting his family was a bit overwhelming for me! (Also, I wish I had a recent pic of Kendra, J’s niece in the photo above. She grew into a gorgeous young woman, who looks a lot like this actress.)

In between dates with J, I worked as a display designer for a department store in Cincinnati and spent a lot of time maintaining my classic ’80’s Big Hair.

sisters 87

Where were you in 1997? What would you like to share about the nineties?

By 1997, J and I had been married 8 years. During the first few months of that year, we were living in Somerset, Kentucky, and I was working at a veterinary clinic.

cockatoo 97

But late in 1996 was when my mom was diagnosed with cancer and it wasn’t long afterward that J and I made the decision to sell our house in Somerset and move to the northern part of the state, in part so I could be closer to Mom (although that wasn’t the only reason we moved).

We moved onto our current property in late spring of ‘97 and spent the summer months living in an oooooold and fairly crappy rental trailer that we had pulled onto the property so we could be there to supervise the building of our house and do some of the work ourselves. (Sweat equity is a powerful thing if you can manage to pull it off!)

build 97

We moved into the house the first weekend of October and had our housewarming party in early November of ‘97.

houswarming 97

That’s my brother, sister, me, Mom, and Dad.

Where did you plan to be or think you’d be in 2007? Have your realized your goals? What is one thing about your present life you love and one you’d like to change?

I had no idea where I’d be or what I’d be doing. I’m not much of a goal-setter really, I’m more of a go-with-the-flow and see where life takes me kind of person, as least as far as big-picture stuff. It’s worked ok so far. :-)

I love most things about my life right now. One thing I’d change if I could is that I wish I’d had better success making connections with people here where I live. I have friends, but they’re scattered all over the globe. I have no one at all any closer than an hour and half or so away that I feel close enough to that I’d call them “friend.” The best I’ve been able to manage locally, even after 10 years, is to have some casual, reasonably friendly acquaintances. And I have TRIED, y’all, I really have, but I have found absolutely no one nearby that I connect with. It’s disappointing.

How do you see your life in 2017? Do you have any goals or dreams for your future?

See above re: setting big life goals. :-) But I dream. Here’s my dream for the future - I’d like the people I love now to still be in my life and to be healthy and happy. I’d also like to meet more people I could grow to love and have them in my life and for them to be healthy and happy. I’d like to be healthy and happy myself, and to still be doing the same things I love doing now, and still finding joy in them. And I’d like to discover new interests and develop new abilities that also bring me joy. In ten years, I’d like a snapshot of my life to still look an awful lot like this:

snapshot of life

Here’s today’s DAT - yep, more of the Cereus. Hey, if I only get to see one bloom every few years, I’m going to milk it for all it’s worth!

cereus again

“Night-blooming Cereus with Surprise Spidery-looking Center!”
Some of the photos above are clickable, some aren’t. If you want to see something larger, give it a try and see what happens! :-)

17 Responses to “Time Capsule”

1. on 08 Jun 2007 at 12:45 am holli

Sigh.. most people move to be closer to their moms when they get sick, don’t they? They don’t move away from them? :( That makes me so sad.

I love the big hair pics. And I love it when you draw lines on pictures for some reason - it reminds me of movies when they flash on pics like that. For some reason I didn’t know about all your brothers.

I really came for the possum post. JC told me about it on the phone and I must read it immediately. There’s no way it can be true!!

2. on 08 Jun 2007 at 3:00 am Shaz

So cool love the big Hair and perms OMG.

3. on 08 Jun 2007 at 6:35 am suzi-k

nice to get to know you better, how was that big hair??!! I can’t believe we did stuff like that, mine is too thin and weedy to go big, so i did the permed poodle look in the 80’s, eek!
    you really started something, after intensive research, i found out the red flower I had that was like your cereus was an Epiphyllum, I am posting a pic on my blog to show you how it looked.

4. on 08 Jun 2007 at 8:07 am angela

i love photo filled posts, i really do. the snapshot of what your future will include is the sweetest thing ever. and your art is amazing, truely. if i lived close by i’d try to claim you as a creative mentor. i’d also be all over your property with my camera. ya, you’d stop answering the phone if i lived near by…. : D

5. on 08 Jun 2007 at 10:21 am Star

This is a really interesting approach to Getting to Know You–1987 seems like a completely different life from the one I have now; in June of 1997 I met my husband :D.

I think it tells a lot about a person’s past when you read about what they want for their future. You and I have very similar hopes for the future. The details may be quite different, but the safety and health of our loved ones (and ourselves) is very important to us.

I love the texture of the cereus spider; it reminds me of coconut. Mmmmmmm.

6. on 08 Jun 2007 at 11:56 am ceanandjen

Deb~ this post warmed my heart this morning. And I love that final collage…the snapshot of your life. It feels happy and content to me, which is what I wish for everyone. It seems that you have definitely accomplished that. :-)

Happy Friday sweet you.xoxo

7. on 08 Jun 2007 at 12:00 pm Delia

I loved this idea–wanted to answer, but time got away from me this week. Maybe I’ll get back to it…I would seriously have envied your 1980’s hair, no matter WHAT I did, I couldn’t get it going (sigh–of course, now this means I have fewer fun-like-these photos).
    Love,

8. on 08 Jun 2007 at 1:02 pm Janet

Love getting to know you better; refresh my memory…how did you and J meet?

9. on 08 Jun 2007 at 8:54 pm bee

that cereus is GORGEOUS…i think there’s a book called the cereus blooms at midnight, which i have never read, and i had never seen one either, until now..thanks!

i loved your answers…and the hair. oh, the hair!

10. on 08 Jun 2007 at 10:05 pm ruby

oh my, that hair is fantastic!! :)
    and my childhood dog was named rebel too!

11. on 09 Jun 2007 at 12:28 am Charlotte

It was fun to see pix with your answers - I loved it!
    I love the pic collage…..esp the feet!

I never did the big hair thing in the ’80’s….mainly cuz I couldn’t part with my long straight ’70’s hippie hair. ha!

Thanks for participating!

12. on 09 Jun 2007 at 1:36 am Rebecca

In 1987, I was living in Virginia (near DC)…the year Brood X of the 17-year “locusts” came out. Got married there in September. In 1997, I was just starting quilting (gawd, has it been that long?).

I managed to miss the big hair thing (too old), but my stepdaughter has some school pictures she’s embarrassed by.

I’m stunned by your comments on nearby friends. JudyL of Sunshine Quilts recently moved from Owensboro, KY, and she also made no close friends in her time there (several years). What’s up with that, Kentucky?

13. on 09 Jun 2007 at 6:30 am susannah

oh, what great pics, and i LOVE your vision of the future - and i know you’ll have it and more, my friend :-) x

14. on 09 Jun 2007 at 10:02 pm bella

Loved reading this! I think we all had that high feathered hair back in the day.
    ;)

15. on 10 Jun 2007 at 12:43 am Melba

What a great post. You really capture time well.
    I LOVE the high hair. Yes, that was me too!

16. on 10 Jun 2007 at 10:49 am Wanda

Artists are not usually “waste time, sit and drink coffee” type of people and therefor don’t seem to attract really good friends in their own area. I find when I have to keep explaining to everyone what it is I do, and then they yawn, I know I’m not going to hang around with them. Most of the people I know who have a lot of close friends are totally social people and don’t do art.

17. on 10 Jun 2007 at 1:24 pm DebR

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I hope we all get the futures we dream of.

All of you who have Big Hair photos need to post them!! :-D

I’m kind of glad to know I’m not the only one who sometimes has trouble connecting. This is the first place I’ve ever lived where I haven’t made at least one genuine friendship and it feels very odd to me, even now.