Red Shoe Ramblings » Come Out and Play with Me

Come Out and Play with Me

(…and bring your dollies three, climb up my apple tree…”…I used to love to do that little slappy-hand song! :-))

I need to go to Lexington today and I wish a bunch of you could be here too. We could go out for a nice lunch somewhere and then visit Mecca the big shoe store, and this bookstore, and this one, where we could also get a yummy coffee drink. Wouldn’t that be fun? I’ll be doing all those things myself, but I’d love to have a friend or two or twelve along. :-)

If you can’t be in Lexington today, maybe you could make it to Cape Cod in about six weeks and hang out with me for the weekend at justBe…Connected. It’s been a while since I bugged you mentioned it and time is getting short to register for workshops, so I wanted to post a reminder. I really hope some of you will come, because I’d love to meet you!

There will be several different workshops, a vendor’s mall, and lots and lots of good company. Check out this collage, created by Jes, that shows the creativity of some of the workshop leaders:

justBe...Connected collage

Fun, yes? So I hope you’ll check out the jBC site and sign up! (And if you do, some of you darn well better take my workshop, Sideways Through the Viewfinder!)

If you can’t be in Lexington today or in Cape Cod in October, you could also hang out with me in the Caribbean in late January by signing up for the Blogland Cruise. We could relax by the pool while we sip frou-frou umbrella drinks, or scream at each other while we ride a zip line through the treetops on a tropical island.

Just like with my trip to Lexington today, I’ll be doing those things in January, with or without you, but unlike Lexington there’s still time for some of you to sign up to do them too. I hope you do! Yes, you…right there, the person thinking “oh, that sounds fun, but there’s no way…” Is there really no way?? Maybe there is a way if you get creative. Think about it, k? Thanks! :-)

Here’s today’s Daily Art Thang, another view of the poke plant I featured a few days ago. I love the contrast of nearly-lime green berries against the magenta stems.

green pokeberries

“Green Pokeberries” (Clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window.)

15 Responses to “Come Out and Play with Me”

1. on 29 Aug 2007 at 9:57 am Amy

How many people have signed up for the blogland cruise? It feels so good for that to be bought & paid for…

2. on 29 Aug 2007 at 11:20 am Nellie

So that’s what those wild and beautiful plants are called … Pokeberries. Thanks!

I would love to join you at the gathering as well as the cruise. However, it’s not to be. SOB!

3. on 29 Aug 2007 at 11:33 am daisies

I so would love to come and play too but no matter how creative I get, it is not to be for me either. SOB!

But it sounds like a whole lot of fun : ) xoxox

4. on 29 Aug 2007 at 12:14 pm Janet

Is THAT what they’re called! I always learn something on your blog :-)

5. on 29 Aug 2007 at 12:50 pm Helen

So did you used to make ink out of the berries when you were a kid? Or maybe still do? Stains like crazy, but makes a good purple (as I recall)….

6. on 29 Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm Star

Always got those red shoes rambling, don’t you? Enjoy your day out!

(and don’t forget that HPB has an extra 20% off over the Labor Day weekend)

7. on 29 Aug 2007 at 4:00 pm JC

Hey, I recognize those sunflower photos! Have fun in town today!

8. on 29 Aug 2007 at 5:48 pm DebR

Amy, AFAIK at this point, there are 7 cabins reserved, so 14-ish people so far (counting us!)

Hi Nellie! They’re called poke plants…making the berries pokeberries. Did you ever hear that song that says something about “poke salet Annie?” Can’t remember who sings it. The pokeberries are toxic, but you can eat the leaves and stalks when they’re young. I wish you could come play. Sigh…

And I wish you could too, Darlene, although I understand that it’s more important to try to be making a beautiful baby. :-)

Yeppers, Janet! :-)

I never did, Helen, but I’ve heard of people doing that!

I get restless if I’m not going somewhere now and then, Star…hehehe. I remembered the sale at HPB this weekend, but I refuse to go anywhere near the city on a holiday weekend unless I truly NEED something! I’d rather pay more for the books!! ;-)

Good eye, JC! And thanks, I’m home now and I did, in fact, have a lovely day. :-)

9. on 29 Aug 2007 at 9:13 pm Gerrie

I wish I could do either of those things, but not this year.

10. on 29 Aug 2007 at 11:36 pm Morven

Yep - make me feel guilty about joining you why dontcha :-) I so wish I could be at all three things with you.

Tony Joe White sings Poke Salad Annie and I have it on CD. Let’s sing along now…

Poke Salad Annie…..’gator’s got yer granny (seriously those are the words!)

See http://www.dixiedining.com/column/column_jan2004.htm for more info.

11. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:43 am chiefbiscuit

Creativity in every pore … that’s you Deb.

12. on 30 Aug 2007 at 8:21 pm Nellie

“Poke Salat Annie” was also sung by Elvis. My mother picked and ate this plant as a girl in Missouri. Even though I was aware of that fact, I had no idea what it looked like … let alone tastes like. Now that I do, I’ll pick some next spring.

13. on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:55 pm Amber

*sigh* I REALLY wish I could!

That dat looks like something from the x-files.

14. on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:28 pm DebR

I wish you could too, Gerrie. I’d love to meet you in person.

And I wish you could too Morven! And thanks for the link to the poke site!

Thanks, Kaye. :-)

Cool, Nellie! Just be sure if you try some that you only pick it when it’s very, very young, before there’s any reddish tinge to any of it. Lots of parts of the plant are toxic when they’re mature (you particularly never want to eat the root or berries, at any stage!). The site Morven posted had some good info, but if you want to know more about how I cook it, let me know.

I really wish you could too, Amber! I’d love so much to meet you in person.

15. on 01 Sep 2007 at 7:54 am jes

Nuh-UH!! They all better take MY work shop!!! (OH all right! We can share I suppose……)

now that blogland cruise….hmmmm….looks to be very interesting…..