Red Shoe Ramblings » Goodbye to Poetry Thursday

Goodbye to Poetry Thursday

If you’ve noticed my Punkymoods icon over to the right, I chose the mood today because I’m already missing Poetry Thursday, even though they aren’t quite gone yet.

Liz and Dana have made the decision to close down the site at the end of the month and move on to other things. I haven’t been as active with PT as I once was, but I still enjoyed reading what others posted and had in mind to participate more actively again soon, but oh well. Life changes and people move on. There may be another poetry site starting up soon, so we’ll see what happens.

Meanwhile, thank you L and D for the time you put into Poetry Thursday. I’ll miss it.

I want to share a portion of a poem by Mary Oliver today, because I love the truth and beauty of the ending. If you’d like to read the whole thing (and I hope you do, because it’s lovely!) you can find it here.

In Blackwater Woods (partial)

…To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

~~~Mary Oliver

Here’s today’s Daily Art Thang.

august sunset

“August Sunset” (Clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window.)

20 Responses to “Goodbye to Poetry Thursday”

1. on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:24 am January

It is a sad day today. I’ll never look at Thursday the same way again.

I love that Mary Oliver poem.

2. on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:46 am amy

I like Mary Oliver. Thank you for sharing. (Resulting tears are not your fault.)

3. on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:48 am Star

I love Mary Oliver and find this portion you’ve chosen to be quite fitting for the day.

That’s a truly awesome August Sunset you have there!

4. on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:05 pm Dara

Wow Deb, this is so especially poignant as I experience another letting go in my life with the upcoming move (explains why I am reading poetry blogs instead of packing - lol). Thanks so much for sharing.

5. on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:33 pm gautami

It is sad but one has to move on.

I like that Oliver poem.

6. on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:43 pm daisies

i really love that poem … i am sad, it is a sad day. stunning photo :)

7. on 30 Aug 2007 at 2:39 pm Delia

Mary Oliver is a goddess…thanks for the little piece of her here.
    Love,
    D.

8. on 30 Aug 2007 at 3:38 pm Tumblewords

She’s one fine poetess, for sure. Wisdom in every line - your photo begs for more…spectacular!

9. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:02 pm liz elayne

thanks deb…

love this mary oliver poem…her words are just what i needed to read…
    and i kind of want to step into your photo with the words from her poem and have a poetry reading all by myself…

10. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:36 pm Trish

What a lovely poem. August Sunset takes your breath away. I really love all of your wonderful pics lately and Ranger is just so adorable! A Red Dog to go with a Red Deb, perfect!

11. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:53 pm Regina Clare Jane

Mary is always perfect for every occasion- thanks for this and the picture…

12. on 30 Aug 2007 at 6:03 pm Tammy

You chose a perfect ending for PT. It was good to see you!

13. on 30 Aug 2007 at 8:47 pm Laura Florand

Beautiful poem, Deb. Thanks for sharing!

14. on 30 Aug 2007 at 9:48 pm holli

Beautiful. And a perfect ending for the commencement of poetry tuesday. Maybe you can just continue the tradition on your blog?

15. on 30 Aug 2007 at 10:30 pm ...deb

Such a perfect poem. Thanks, Deb.

(And a beautiful sky, too.)

16. on 31 Aug 2007 at 1:32 am Rethabile

Nice all around. Poem, snap. Sad news all the same.

17. on 31 Aug 2007 at 7:48 am Vanessa

Hey Deb!
    It’s been literally ages… but now I’m back from my hols.
    I love your new layout and the poem, well, it speaks volumes.
    Beautiful DAT too.
    I had no idea PT was going to shut down! Aw and just when I was thinking of participating more too :(
    Vx

18. on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:28 pm DebR

Thank you to every person who stopped by to help me say goodbye to Poetry Thursday and thank you for your thoughts and comments.

19. on 31 Aug 2007 at 12:57 pm ceanandjen

Apparently I am emotional today, because the last few lines of that poem brought tears to me eyes…in a good way.

Gorgeous photo….I am been so all about the clouds lately. Just this morning I went running downstairs like a crazy person so that I could grab my camera and take picture of the wispy clouds that were floating by outside.

xoxoxo

20. on 31 Aug 2007 at 4:51 pm JC

Love the pic and the poem. I love most of the Mary Oliver stuff that I’ve seen thanks to the blogosphere.