Red Shoe Ramblings » Poetry Thursday (the traveling show version)

Poetry Thursday (the traveling show version)

Since the official Poetry Thursday site has posted its last prompt (and will disappear altogether in a bit), some of the poets who have been involved are taking turns hosting weekly Cyber Poetry Readings on their blogs, at least for now.

This week, the hostess with the mostess is Delia, so if you want to read some wonderful poetry, check out her post and the accompanying comments.

I got a very nice note today from Hans Ostram, the poet who wrote a poem (one I still like a lot!) I shared for PT a little more than a year ago. He liked the collage I created to go with his poem as much as I liked the poem and is now using it as a photo on his blog, Poet’s Musings. Check it out!

Today I want to share another poem I like a lot. I think what made me remember this poem is the final prompt Liz posted to the PT site - An Open Window. This poem pretty much talks about the opposite of that, but then that’s often how my mind works. :-) I can so relate to the sense of yearning expressed in this poem.

Painted Windows

I lived in a house
with two real windows and the other two painted on.
Those painted windows caused my first sorrow.
I’d touch the sides of the hall
trying to reach the windows from the inside.
I spent my whole childhood wanting
to lean out and see what could be seen
from the windows that weren’t there.

~~~Gloria Fuertes (1918 - 1998)
translated from the Spanish by Philip Levine

Here’s today’s Daily Art Thang, a photo I took of something J loves to do - to place feathers he finds on the ground in other places. In this case, he tucked one between the back and arm of a rustic bench that sits at the edge of the woods, overlooking a pond, near where we walk each day.

feather and wood

“Feather and Painted Wood” (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)

12 Responses to “Poetry Thursday (the traveling show version)”

1. on 06 Sep 2007 at 12:08 pm Amy

Did you place the feather? Ala still life, or did it land there naturally?

2. on 06 Sep 2007 at 12:56 pm daisies

your collage looks amazing :) and thank you for sharing this poem, it touched me and lingers inside of me like a good poem does … what a gift … xoxox

3. on 06 Sep 2007 at 1:11 pm gautami

Thanks for sharing the poem. I will chk out more from that poet.

4. on 06 Sep 2007 at 1:36 pm Imelda / GreenishLady

What a beautiful little poem! A gem! Thank you for sharing it. And I love the Art-Thang. The feather against that blue! Beautiful.

5. on 06 Sep 2007 at 6:58 pm kristen

i love this poem - it captures a little bit of the wistfulness of childhood for me. i have this love/hate with feathers. the separation and the way the soft down is connected to the quill part…it creeps me out.

6. on 06 Sep 2007 at 10:04 pm JC

That’s awesome about the collage! I love the poem you posted and I also love the placing of found feathers by J. Makes me wish I had done something with the feather I saw in my yard a couple of weeks ago.

7. on 06 Sep 2007 at 10:47 pm Amber

This poem is sad and deep. I think a whole book could come of it.

8. on 06 Sep 2007 at 10:51 pm ...deb

Very cool about your collage. Nice collaboration.

I like the poem you shared this week, too. It is a great bookend to last week’s last PT.

Thank you (and I love the feather–nice habit, great photo.)

9. on 07 Sep 2007 at 2:19 am Shaz

very cool Deb

10. on 07 Sep 2007 at 6:03 am January

Thanks for sharing the poem and the photo. I don’t know the poet, but I do know Phil Levine. He’s an expert in translation.

Somedays it really does feel like I’m looking through windows that just aren’t there.

11. on 07 Sep 2007 at 4:45 pm ceanandjen

Well, first, I love J’s idea of sticking feathers that he finds in random places. Little gifts of magic to be found.

I also very much love this poem, and it speaks to me today, so I am glad that I ran across it today. (no such thing as a day late, a dollar short for me today)

And third, how amazingly cool that your collage is being loved and displayed by the author of the poem that inspired it? Fabulous!

xoxo

12. on 17 Sep 2007 at 7:35 pm Adam

I found your blog via Google while searching for poem on love and your post regarding Poetry Thursday (the traveling show version) looks very interesting for me