The Cool, The Silly, The Frickin’ Amazing!

November? Huh?? Is it really November already??? Gaaahhhh! Anyway…

I get a little email newsletter thingy from SciFi.com and one of the features in the newsletter is that they highlight weird bizarre interesting new technology. I wanted to share a couple of things that were in this most recent newsletter.

The Cool

This is something I could get behind: an “Eye-Fi” SD card that you can use in your digital camera and it’ll start uploading your photos as soon as you’re in range of your Wi-Fi network - no need to mess with cables or card readers or anything. Cooooool!

Sadly, at this point the cost makes it something I’m not going to try. Regular SD cards are dirt cheap these days and I’m not quite lazy enough (yet…heh) to pay $100 just so I don’t have the dreadfully onerous task of stretching a cable from my camera to my computer (oh deah, Sugah, Ah jus’ don’ know if li’l ol’ me cayun handle that theah big ol’ cable thang….Snort!).

But usually the price of new technology comes down once it’s not so new anymore, so it’s something to keep an eye on.

The Silly

These, on the other hand, well…I just don’t see the point. iShoes motorized skates? Why would anyone need these?? The point of skates is both fun and exercise and it seems to me like these would take away some of the first point and all of the second.

If you want a motorized way to get around, the Segway is already out there and seems like a much safer and more stable design than having separate motorized thingies on each foot. Of course maybe I’m the only person in the world klutzy enough to be able to picture one foot going one way and one the other, while on motors! (Can you say “ouch???”) Of course, on the other hand, it could be a great thing for Weird Al Yankovic to use if he ever makes White and Nerdy: Part 2! Hhhmmm…

The Frickin’ Amazing!

The International Quilt Association has the winners page up for the 2007 Quilts: A World of Beauty contest. Wow!!!!! These are not your grandma’s quilts (well, ok, they might be, since I don’t know who’s reading this…heh…but they aren’t what most people think of when they hear the phrase “grandma’s quilts”) and they are fabulous! Check them out when you have time. You won’t be sorry. Congrats to the winners!

Daily Art Thang

street corner

“Street Corner” (Clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window.)

10 Responses to “The Cool, The Silly, The Frickin’ Amazing!”

1. on 01 Nov 2007 at 10:06 am Helen

wow — what great quilts! thanks for posting these. I got to go to the Quilt Show/festival/whatever it’s called last year and it sure was amazing. Got all my creative juices flowing…. Love today’s DAT, by the by.

2. on 01 Nov 2007 at 11:20 am tiff

motorized shoes? really?

that’s beyond silly, which means that my kids are going to want them.

3. on 01 Nov 2007 at 12:59 pm Janet

um…I bought it today…the Eye-Fi card…I did LOL! I HATE how long it takes to upload my pictures at home…ok, maybe I am lazy! And a spendthrift, to boot ;-)

4. on 01 Nov 2007 at 1:03 pm Tammy

Wow! Those quilts are truly amazing!! I’m sharing that link with my mom! She is making a quilt for me using all batik material. I can’t wait to see it! :)

5. on 01 Nov 2007 at 1:33 pm DebR

Maybe that’s what I need to do to jump start my interest in quilts again, Helen. It’s great to see them online, but not quite the same as seeing them in person. Hhhmmmm….

I know, Tiff!! Crazy, yes?? My nieces and nephews would probably like them too. Pppfft.

Janet, did you really?? You have to review it on your blog once you use it, ok?? (Well, I mean, you don’t HAVE to, obviously, but I hope you do.) If I had more money to spare right now, I’d probably be more tempted than I am, but our discretionary income is not at its best right now and I don’t mind the cables nearly enough to justify the current cost. But hey - if you have the money to spend on it, more power to you. GO, girl!!! :-D

Cool, Tammy, hope your mom enjoys the quilt pic too. And I hope you share photos of the one she’s making for you when she finishes it! I bet it’ll be beautiful. I love batiks - they’re my favorite quilting fabrics.

6. on 01 Nov 2007 at 5:57 pm Sara

Talk about getting creative juices flowing! Those quilts are STUNNING! Now that my machine is home from its yearly maintence check…I am ready to quilt!!!!

Finally am going to start my B/W quilt!!!! Time for me!!!!

7. on 01 Nov 2007 at 6:16 pm dinahmow

So now I have to have a right hemisphere replacement.
    Creeps away to finish the quilt begun 20 years ago…

Seriously, imagine some lucky off-spring inheriting so
    mething like that from Granny. Thanks for the link.

8. on 01 Nov 2007 at 8:28 pm Gerrie

YES- You should get back to quilting cause you made some fantastic works of art.

9. on 02 Nov 2007 at 1:04 am Linda in London

The quilt link is frickin’ amazing, I can hardly imagine the full line up of entries with so many amazing prize winners

10. on 02 Nov 2007 at 11:04 am DebR

Yay, Sara!! Photos, please!!

Yeah, how cool would that be, Dinahmow!

Aw, thanks, Gerrie. I just have no vision in fabric these days, none at all. But I keep hoping it’ll come back.

I bet the show was awesome, Linda. Everyone I’ve ever talked to who has been has said it’s overwhelming.