Something I Am Not Enjoying So Far About June

Mostly I believe in focusing on the positive, but now and then I need a robust whine. So. Something I Am Not Enjoying So Far About June:

Cicadas.

Sure, They (you know, those vague, shadowy, know-it-all experts on any old thing….”They“) say cicadas only come out every 17 years, but what They don’t tell you - at least not at first! - is that there are a gazillion different broods out there and the little buggers are all on different cycles!

So I get through the invasion a couple of years ago without losing my mind - barely! - and I think it’s all good for another 17 years, but noooooo. Turns out there’s another huge brood hatching this year! Gaaahhh!

I know it’s only temporary, but meanwhile the noise they make is driving me crazy. Insane. Bonkers. ‘Round the bend. Slipping a cog. Playing hockey with a warped puck.

My house sits on a ridge surrounded by woods. Woods made up of trees. Lots and lots and LOTS of trees. And where is it cicadas go to drink, smoke, and fornicate during their short little lifespans? Yeah. Trees.

The office where I work has a lovely little courtyard entrance. It’s beautifully landscaped and it gives me a great view from the window by my desk. But what is it full of? Yeah. More trees.

I can’t get away from them! It’s like living in the insect version of a college freshman co-ed dorm, if college freshmen made a brain-piercingly shrill shrieking noise the entire time they were getting on with the drinking, smoking, and fornicating, as opposed to just every now and then.

Am I evil if I wish they’d hurry up and get pregnant, give birth, and die? (The cicadas, I mean. Not the college freshman. Pinky swear.) If I’m evil (or whiny!) then so be it. I just want them to shut up and since I know they won’t shut up as long as they’re alive, I want them to die.

I’m probably going to hell, but meanwhile I think someone needs to pass me a pitcher of mojitos and a set of really good earplugs.

Stupid bugs.

Here’s today’s Certified Cicada-free Daily Art Thang. I like how the petals on the left look almost like they have glitter on them and I think the beard looks like a caterpillar with a funky dye job. :-)

iris heart

“Iris Heart: Take Two” (Clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window.)

8 Responses to “Something I Am Not Enjoying So Far About June”

1. on 05 Jun 2008 at 7:52 am dee

I was down south visiting friends when I first heard one of those awful things. Scared the hell out of me. They all laughed at the Northerner but I can’t imagine living with that noise on a regular basis. Earplugs-good thing

2. on 05 Jun 2008 at 9:11 am Helen

we get them out in NM, where we live… my husband astounded his cousin one evening when he actually shot one out of a Russian olive tree with an air pistol….

3. on 05 Jun 2008 at 11:15 am tiff

Good thing you did the pinky swear. ;)

They’re not out around here - I wonder if our trees are cicada-free for some odd reason?

4. on 05 Jun 2008 at 11:43 am Janet

I remember those from when I vacationed on Okinawa. They ARE loud!!!

5. on 05 Jun 2008 at 5:42 pm Rebecca in SoCal

I lived in northern Virginia for ONE summer…guess which one? The one brood X hatched! (That’s the REALLY big btood).

I remember seeing one fly right into a little stick of a sign and fall down. They were too busy drinking, smoking, and fornicating to use brain cells for navigation.

On the other hand, it reminded me when I’d been married for 17 years, and will mark the 34th year. (We moved to VA where we didn’t know anyone, got married, and moved back).

6. on 06 Jun 2008 at 5:51 pm Laume

You beat me to saying that it was a purple catepillar!

As for cicadas, you have my most heartfelt sympathies. I only remember dealing with them once (although perhaps it was more than once and I’ve blessedly supressed the memories) and what I remember is feeling the same way. Just get it over with and LEAVE ME ALONE! I also remember we had one tree in our front yard and if you were outside you’d hear them going on so loudly it was like being in front of the speakers at a concert - BUT, the minute you stepped within a certain perimeter of the tree, they’d go silent. And you couldn’t SEE them. The tree looked completely empty of all bug life. The minute you’d step back they’d start back up again at full volume. I can picture god up above with a big radio, turning the volume button back and forth and having a huge laugh at my expense. Asshole.

7. on 06 Jun 2008 at 6:34 pm JulieZS

Let’s see a picture of one those little buggers!
    I remember being in Buffalo, NY visiting the in-laws and a big cicada thing was going on. We were sitting out on their deck enjoying a shady afternoon and I made the mistake of pointing out the noise. ooops. They had been working hard to tune it out, and then I went and pointed it out for them. Well, then we all went crazy together from the constant sound.

8. on 07 Jun 2008 at 1:53 pm amber