Red Shoe Ramblings » Now and then I still do something art-ish

Now and then I still do something art-ish

It doesn’t happen often these days, I’ll admit, aside from photography, but now and then I find myself doing something creative.

train tunnel in autumnLast Autumn our community had the Banner Project, where dozens of people, from small children to senior citizens and anyone in between painted canvas banners with an autumnal theme and they were hung on the light poles in town for a month or so. I didn’t know about it last year until it was too late to participate, but this year I played.

I’m going to be gone during the big community painting day, so I got my banner early and worked on it this weekend and decided to do a rather impressionistic rendering based on a photo I took of a train tunnel about a mile away from our house. It’s far from perfect, but I’m pretty pleased with it considering how many years it’s been since I did a painting of any sort.

It won’t be hung in town for a few more weeks, but I’m giving you a sneak preview. It’s also today’s Daily Art Thang. Click on it if you want to see it larger in a new window.

10 Responses to “Now and then I still do something art-ish”

1. on 01 Sep 2008 at 10:41 am Natalya

it’s lovely.. I wanna see more art!

2. on 01 Sep 2008 at 12:17 pm Sara

Deb, that is beautiful! So, do they hang everyone’s banner? Or do they pick one and have it reproduced? I hope it’s everyone’s cause that would be a big deal for some people.

You are really talented - quilting, photography, painting, - endless talent!!!

3. on 01 Sep 2008 at 3:17 pm Rebecca in SoCal

At first glance, I thought that WAS the photo! Gorgeous.

That sounds like a great project…very community oriented.

4. on 01 Sep 2008 at 6:59 pm Lydia

I like it! I like how the inside of the tunnel is bright and light, instead of the usual “monsters live here” black hole.

Dan and I rode bikes through a couple of super spooky tunnels this summer doing rails-to-trails rides, and I have to tell you, this one would have been FAR LESS INTIMIDATING. ;D

5. on 02 Sep 2008 at 12:27 am annmarie

As a very beginning watercolorist, I think it’s great. But it’s not watercolor is it.

6. on 02 Sep 2008 at 11:17 am tiff

You have talent galore, Miss Deb. Me likee!

7. on 02 Sep 2008 at 12:32 pm janet

Oooh, it’s so full of autumn!

8. on 02 Sep 2008 at 5:13 pm Morven

Colour me impressed! I love how you’ve captured the perspective.

9. on 02 Sep 2008 at 11:14 pm JC

This is great - I love it! You are right to be proud of it! I want to do a painting someday.

10. on 09 Sep 2008 at 5:16 pm Laume

I remember when you posted that photo. Or if not that one, something similar. You were doing a lot with tracks and roads.